"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Getting Into My Basics  (Read 19453 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Getting Into My Basics
« on: 2014-03-09, 22:44:11 »
So I got down what my armor kit will be and such, but what of my civilian? Well that what I am here to discuss. I plan to make a 13th century soft kit to compliment my 13th century armor. It will consist of the basics, a kirtle, braies, tunic, cowl, chausses, garters, and a belt and period shoes and maybe a felt hat. I plan to hand make my own tunic, cowl, chausses, belt and maybe a kirtle. I will buy the rest, maybe make the other items in the future. My tunic will almost be like a honey color like in the figure below. My chausses a green(also like the figure below, but maybe not as bright of a color), and my cowl shall be brown. My shoes will not be a natural color but a dark brown. I plan to make my stuff out of "authentic" material such as wool. The kirtle and braies of coarse will be a light, white linen. I have sources in which hold the knowledge to make these items. Either in the next week or so i will start making and ordering this stuff. As I work on this project I will either refer back to this post or/and post it in the workshop. If anyone one has questions or suggestions they will be most appreciated :)
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Getting Into My Basics
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-10, 02:37:11 »
Looks like it will be an interesting color combo. I think I read this on Historic Enterprises... younger people would have brighter colors, and older would have darker or duller. Bright red or green for youth; maroon or olive for older.

Historic Enterprises and/or Revival Clothing are two good sources if you haven't decided where to buy from yet.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-10, 04:15:38 »
Looks like it will be an interesting color combo. I think I read this on Historic Enterprises... younger people would have brighter colors, and older would have darker or duller. Bright red or green for youth; maroon or olive for older.

Historic Enterprises and/or Revival Clothing are two good sources if you haven't decided where to buy from yet.

I was actually thinking of buying the underwear kit from and maybe some garters from Historic Enterprises. I was going to but their wool chausses but I don't like the selection. I think I also have to purchase the pour points seprate. But I wonder, can you buy wool from them? Hm, would you consider 16(by mideviel standards) to be younge or old? It was the "middle age" of the time. I plan to make all of it for the most part. I am going to visit some fabric stores in Philly, see what I can salvage, then order what I can't find from either Renaissance Fabrics or Fabric Mart. I sure hope it looks nice in the end... I have to admit, I am bad with colors. I wonder, did the way chausses were made ever change? Most sources I look at all seem to give the same generic pattern? Oh by the way! Along with this stuff I'm going to purchase a padded gambesons, coif, and kettle helm from KoA. Though, the 13th century padded gambeson will need some editing because it has buttons on it, which dod not come around till the 14th century. Which this will make a nice infantry/man-at-arms kit that will allow me to just throw maille over it when i buy the maille.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-19, 03:47:45 »
Ordered the underwear package from Historic Enterprises  ;D comes with braies and a shirt, and with every package comes with a free stylish arming cap. Ah, I now have the foundations for most of my kits. Whether it be armor or garb. Should be in Monday!

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-19, 14:10:20 »
Lucky...at my size none of their kits fit...need to get it custom by Gwen and in the end it is just cheaper to make my own...so it is on the todo list...

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-19, 16:37:31 »
Ordered the underwear package from Historic Enterprises  ;D comes with braies and a shirt, and with every package comes with a free stylish arming cap. Ah, I now have the foundations for most of my kits. Whether it be armor or garb. Should be in Monday!

Lucky you! It's taken four weeks and I still don't have my order.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-19, 16:59:04 »

Lucky you! It's taken four weeks and I still don't have my order.

Did you get the same thing? They only have some things in stock, others get made when ordered.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-19, 18:11:40 »
They had it on their page, but a day later they called me to say one of the items was out of stock. At least its on its way to me now. The anticipation is killing me.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2014-03-20, 00:36:52 »
They had it on their page, but a day later they called me to say one of the items was out of stock. At least its on its way to me now. The anticipation is killing me.

Well, I should say hopefully Monday, I didn't get any calls about it. But there is always that chance it'll come later. Btw, what did you get?

Does anyone have recommendations for 13th century German shoes? I was looking at one from Viking leather crafts, but from what I could see, they had slippery bottoms. I'm not going to make my own, yet, I'm not skilled or patient enough lol.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-03-20, 00:55:25 »

Well, I should say hopefully Monday, I didn't get any calls about it. But there is always that chance it'll come later. Btw, what did you get?

Does anyone have recommendations for 13th century German shoes? I was looking at one from Viking leather crafts, but from what I could see, they had slippery bottoms. I'm not going to make my own, yet, I'm not skilled or patient enough lol.

If you don't mind the ahistorical vibram sole they can attach for you at Viking Leathercrafts, they won't slip.  My viking leathercraft shoes have the rubber sole on them for that express purpose.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-03-20, 01:59:02 »

If you don't mind the ahistorical vibram sole they can attach for you at Viking Leathercrafts, they won't slip.  My viking leathercraft shoes have the rubber sole on them for that express purpose.

Yep, what Sir Ian said. Vibram sole was $10 extra, or lugged sole for $25.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-03-20, 03:22:51 »
Btw, what did you get?

I got the underwear package, a kyrtle, and some tight black hoes, uh... I mean, hose.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2014-03-20, 03:58:40 »

Honest question, what's the difference between the vibram and the lugged? Personally, I want a shoe that is historical. Because I plan to have spurs.

Btw, what did you get?

I got the underwear package, a kyrtle, and some tight black hoes, uh... I mean, hose.

Lol, wool or linen? Plus I almost got the chausses except I didn't like the color selection for the wools. So I'm making my own because its rather easy.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2014-03-20, 13:03:47 »
I got the wool hose. I made myself a pair of linen hose, but they don't stretch very well and they wear down quickly at the heel. Good luck with yours. It's not as easy as it seams,... I mean seems.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #14 on: 2014-03-20, 13:10:49 »

Honest question, what's the difference between the vibram and the lugged? Personally, I want a shoe that is historical. Because I plan to have spurs.

I had Vibram soles on a set of shoes I ordered from Revival Clothing a while back, and they did slip, just not as much as their plain leather soles. But it still required some caution. The lugged soles are the ones that will grip the ground like a modern shoe.

The difference is that the Vibram sole is a completely flat sole, with texture to give it some traction. It's synthetic, but from a distance won't stand out as being all that different from a flat piece of leather.

The "lugged" sole is a modern boot sole, complete with treads.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )