Main > The Armoury

"Pavise" Type Shields in 13th/14th Century Poland

<< < (2/2)

Don Jorge:
Looks a lot like the Moorish/Spanish/Iberian shields of the 13-14th century called an Adarga

Oooo Wikipedia strikes again: "Some impressive examples of the adarga are preserved in the Royal Armoury of the Royal Palace of Madrid, while one unique example is made from a large tortoise shell, taken at the Battle of Vienna in 1683 from the Turks, and is preserved in the armory of the Mons Clara Monastery at Częstochowa, Poland"

Maybe a link.

Stanislaw:

--- Quote from: Belemrys on 2014-02-27, 19:22:23 ---Looks a lot like the Moorish/Spanish/Iberian shields of the 13-14th century called an Adarga

Oooo Wikipedia strikes again: "Some impressive examples of the adarga are preserved in the Royal Armoury of the Royal Palace of Madrid, while one unique example is made from a large tortoise shell, taken at the Battle of Vienna in 1683 from the Turks, and is preserved in the armory of the Mons Clara Monastery at Częstochowa, Poland"

Maybe a link.

--- End quote ---

I just looked up some historical examples, and they do look strikingly similar in design to the one that Trojden I is depicted with.

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2014-02-27, 16:42:15 ---IIRC a few folks on the Armour Archive have made some.

--- End quote ---

If you happen to come across them, I'd be glad to see them! :)

Sir Gerard de Rodes:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-02-27, 15:45:53 ---
One of those images looks like it could be an actual pavisse, since it looks like it might have a spike in the bottom:

--- End quote ---

Agreed Sir Ed. Very similar to western, more specifically, French pavisse. The ridge down the middle is quite often thought to be a channel for a stake, spear or similar, pushed into the ground to hold the shield upright. One could crouch behind a shield of that size quite easily and still get some protection.

G.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version