"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: The Animated lord of the rings films, and the hobbit.  (Read 5087 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
So who liked the rankin/bass and Ralph bashki Lotr/hobbit films?
I'm ok with Ralph bashkis lord of the rings it's creatively done.
I just love the animated hobbit, the music, they stay pretty accurate and it's not 6-9 hours long. I kinda like it more than the new hobbit films. I have fair reasons.
 I've actually never seen the rankin bass return if the king film. I've seen bits and pieces but nothing I cared for too much.

But as a comparison to the new peter jackson lotr films, from ascale from 1 to 10 the animated lotr I give 5 and jackson a 15.

What are some thoughts on the cartoon films?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
Re: The Animated lord of the rings films, and the hobbit.
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-21, 05:14:03 »
"Frodooooo of the Niiiiiiiiiine Fingers, and the Ring of Dooooooooooom!"

It's been a while since I've seen them. I think I liked the overall animation style of Bakshi's version better....other than those weird, posterized live-action sequences, and the fact that it looked like Aragorn wasn't wearing any pants (he also totally looked like my old art school teacher). Rankin/Bass used mostly Japanese animators, so it looked a little too "anime" for me, but it did have a much more consistent, whimsical, animated feel. That worked really well with the story of The Hobbit. Even if Elrond did have a beard....

But I liked them for what they were; they had their strong points and weak points. Taken in the context that these were from the late 70s, they were fun. Bakshi has John Hurt and Anthony Daniels; Rankin/Bass has William Conrad, Roddy McDowell, and Casey Kasem. So that's kind of cool.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-21, 12:26:29 »
all 3 were great. wish they would have gone back and finished the lord of the rings one when they had money, but i enjoy the rankin/bass rotk version too. i've watched these since forever. my kids like them as well.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-21, 14:10:13 »
I grew up having seen the Bakshi version (until today, I thought it was the only animated version lol) and I liked it for what it was as it kept me enthralled but I prefer the live action movies.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-21, 14:52:13 »

I hadn't seen the cartoon version since I was a kid (so probably not since the late '70s or early '80s), until very recently. My wife and I watched them over the holidays.

I didn't remember how slow they were. Otherwise I liked them.

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!" ;)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-21, 22:05:06 »
I've actually never watched the cartoon Lord of the Rings, but I've probably seen the Rankin and Bass cartoon of The Hobbit about 3 or 4 hundred times... I watched it all the time when I was a kid, and still have the VHS somewhere.  I've also got it on my pc :)

I have very fond memories of watching The Hobbit while eating nutter butter cookies and drinking cranberry juice as a kid... haha, don't knock it til you try it!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-22, 03:49:03 »
"Down town to Goblin Town!!"

I think my favorite of the 3 was the Hobbit.
And until the part 3 of the Jackson comes out( I'll have to see)
I still line the animated hobbit just a smidge better. I also grew up with the hobbit game as well which a lot of its design for characters seemed to co-inside with the animated movie.(that hobbit game in early 2000)
Aragon in the bashki one looked Native American. Boromir was a Viking. Balrog seen was funny, Sam was creepy! No pants!!!!!!!
I still liked it though.

"Here down in the valley HaHa!"
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-23, 14:07:59 »
i remember always watching these cartoons when i was sick as a kid. i had strep throat a lot so mom would go to video den and rent them for me till i had "off sight back up" versions of my own on vhs