Main > The Library

The Animated lord of the rings films, and the hobbit.

(1/2) > >>

Sir Nate:
So who liked the rankin/bass and Ralph bashki Lotr/hobbit films?
I'm ok with Ralph bashkis lord of the rings it's creatively done.
I just love the animated hobbit, the music, they stay pretty accurate and it's not 6-9 hours long. I kinda like it more than the new hobbit films. I have fair reasons.
 I've actually never seen the rankin bass return if the king film. I've seen bits and pieces but nothing I cared for too much.

But as a comparison to the new peter jackson lotr films, from ascale from 1 to 10 the animated lotr I give 5 and jackson a 15.

What are some thoughts on the cartoon films?

Sir Douglas:
"Frodooooo of the Niiiiiiiiiine Fingers, and the Ring of Dooooooooooom!"

It's been a while since I've seen them. I think I liked the overall animation style of Bakshi's version better....other than those weird, posterized live-action sequences, and the fact that it looked like Aragorn wasn't wearing any pants (he also totally looked like my old art school teacher). Rankin/Bass used mostly Japanese animators, so it looked a little too "anime" for me, but it did have a much more consistent, whimsical, animated feel. That worked really well with the story of The Hobbit. Even if Elrond did have a beard....

But I liked them for what they were; they had their strong points and weak points. Taken in the context that these were from the late 70s, they were fun. Bakshi has John Hurt and Anthony Daniels; Rankin/Bass has William Conrad, Roddy McDowell, and Casey Kasem. So that's kind of cool.

Sir Wolf:
all 3 were great. wish they would have gone back and finished the lord of the rings one when they had money, but i enjoy the rankin/bass rotk version too. i've watched these since forever. my kids like them as well.

Sir William:
I grew up having seen the Bakshi version (until today, I thought it was the only animated version lol) and I liked it for what it was as it kept me enthralled but I prefer the live action movies.

Sir Edward:

I hadn't seen the cartoon version since I was a kid (so probably not since the late '70s or early '80s), until very recently. My wife and I watched them over the holidays.

I didn't remember how slow they were. Otherwise I liked them.

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!" ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version