Main > The Armoury

DOs and DONTs when planning and buying a set of armor (harness)

(1/3) > >>

Sir James A:
I was asked this on the Book of Faces and thought I would post a thread here. I'll try to keep this first post updated as a "master list". If anyone has any additions, post them below.

DO:

* Decide on a specific time / area first
* Acquire undergarments first
* Arming clothes next
* If you're wearing mail, get the mail, tailor it to match the arming garments
* AFTER the mail is done and tailored, measure for the plate parts
* Try to find a single armorer to do the entire harness, for consistency and ease of measurements / communication
* Be patient; a nice harness doesn't happen over night. Be willing to wait 6-12+ months on it
* Work on a second harness in the interim to pass the time (OK maybe not. But maybe!)
DONT:

* DONT buy plate first
* DONT buy something that isn't correct for the kit just because it's on sale / in stock (Unless you're starting a second kit ;))
* DONT expect to throw the armor in a box and be maintenance free; a proper harness deserves care and respect. You *will* need to replace leathers every 5-10 years or so
* DONT forget to oil it; oil keeps rust away. Rust is bad. Rust is evil. Oil is your friend!
* DONT hesitate to ask questions if you are unsure of something; this means on clothing, on armor, on how to wear it
* DONT get frustrated if things don't go right the first time. They rarely do.
* DONT let it become more burdensome than you can handle. If you aren't having fun, something is wrong. Don't be afraid to step away for a while, renew, and if you feel ready ... get back into it
Sir Edward, can we sticky this?

Sir William:
Please sticky this- this is an excellent idea and something I wish I'd had when I first started this pursuit.  Still, I had a lot of fun (and anguish too) in collecting, wearing then later selling off all sorts of armor.

Sir Douglas:
Ditto on the sticky. This is great, thanks for posting Sir James!

Sir Brian:
Great post Sir James! Something we all wish we had when starting out! ;)

Don Jorge:
This is a great list...even if I am not going buy it...Must acquire undergarments and finish my arming garment...but also need plate armor to fight in!!! but making most of my armor so it should be fine :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version