Main > The Armoury

13th and 14th c. Kits

<< < (16/20) > >>

Sir Douglas:
Well, I guess I mean at what social class are decorate belts no longer appropriate. Like, were they an item belonging mainly to the wealthy, or could you find a well-to-do townsman walking around with brass sparklies around his waist, too?

Ian:
I don't have my reference (stuck at work overnight), but those belt fittings look appropriate for a mid range impression if that's what you're looking for.  If you wanted to go wealthy you would be expected to have them silver or gold plated, and the rest of the belt should be highly decorated.  Commons would probably have pewter fittings on a lot of their stuff because it's super cheap.  I'm assuming those are for a soft-kit belt?  Those types of fittings are seen on thin belts for wear in your normal civilian clothing.

Chuck R can correct me on this if I'm wrong.  The nuances of who can wear brass is not my specialty, but I'm fairly confident it's cool for mid range and the lower portion of the upper class, but will give way to gold and silver at the knightly level.

Get yourself a copy of 'Dress Accessories' from the Museum of London series of books if you really want to get in to appropriate fittings, brooches etc...

Aiden of Oreland:
As said earlier in the post, there were no differences in martial or civil belts. Brass was used more than pewter and is more accurate if I recall from Scott in an earlier post. There wasn't a difference until the 14th century. Also, the more mounts you have the wealthier the design and class you appear. So I so go right ahead. So I think you are fine with what you chose.

Sir Douglas:
For a soft kit, yes. I'm trying (operative word) to shoot for a more "mid-range" kit for DoK. Basically something to start out with where I can still look nice without breaking the bank on a ton of high-end accessories.

Now when we're talking mid-range, I'm thinking like franklins, merchants, and maybe some gentlemen/esquires. That about right?

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2014-05-16, 23:57:28 ---For a soft kit, yes. I'm trying (operative word) to shoot for a more "mid-range" kit for DoK. Basically something to start out with where I can still look nice without breaking the bank on a ton of high-end accessories.

Now when we're talking mid-range, I'm thinking like franklins, merchants, and maybe some gentlemen/esquires. That about right?

--- End quote ---

Should be fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version