Main > The Armoury

My Armor kit - Historical Fiction?

<< < (6/14) > >>

Sir Nate:
Coming in this a bit late but all I have to say is, Fantastic Kit!

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-05-07, 21:00:34 ---
--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-05-07, 20:07:48 ---I know the Mac bible has some evidence of blackened maille.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-05-06, 20:12:21 ---...armor in paintings is subject to debate, something about pigment changing colors from silver to black.

--- End quote ---

A lot of medieval manuscripts used silver leafing to depict armor/swords... over time as the silver tarnishes it turns black.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like exactly what I was thinking of, thanks!

Sir Martyn:
Right but if not blackened, armor was painted - even then, right?

I have the William Marshall helmet (like visored barbute from Robin Hood film), think Sir William has the same one - was thinking about painting it. 

If to paint, does re-enactment require paints available to the period be used?

Sir William:
Gareyth, I don't know that I could call that helm 'historically' accurate, at least not for the time period shown in the film (start of the 13th) but if you were wanting to paint it with historical accuracy in mind, you'd probably go with milk-based paints.  Sir Wolf has done it before I think- he's the first to come to mind but likely not the only one of us to have done so already.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-05-09, 12:42:19 ---Gareyth, I don't know that I could call that helm 'historically' accurate, at least not for the time period shown in the film (start of the 13th) but if you were wanting to paint it with historical accuracy in mind, you'd probably go with milk-based paints.  Sir Wolf has done it before I think- he's the first to come to mind but likely not the only one of us to have done so already.

--- End quote ---

Correct on all accounts.  A lot of the armor in the Robin Hood movie is 15th century armor that has magically gone back in time to early 13th century England.  IIRC there's sallets and barbutes etc in that movie, which are 250 years before their time. 

Armor was definitely painted from time to time, and milk paint is probably the right thing to use if you want it to be historical paint.

As far as rules regarding paint, "reenactment" or 'living history' are far too broad of terms to worry about specific standards since every group has different levels of authenticity.   An event like Days of Knights will certainly not hold you to period paints or pigments.  It's important to note that Days of Knights is not a Living History Group... it's just an event where lots of different living history groups and individuals get together to put on one big event.  DoK does have a set of standards specific to that event that each group must abide by as much as practicable, but the individual groups and people that participate in DoK have wildly varying standards.  Some are very strict, some barely meet the minimum DoK standards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version