Main > The Courtyard

Longpoint 2014, MD/DC area HEMA event (classes & tournaments)

<< < (5/9) > >>

Sir Edward:

Yeah, originally they marked me down for steel. For now they've moved me to Synthetic, since I asked which one starts later in the event. Steel starts Friday morning, and Synthetic starts Saturday morning. I figured later is better, since I'm not 100% sure if I'll be taking off work or not.

Steel seems to have attracted a lot more people. It has a lot of capable people, and also a lot of people I don't know. I'm concerned about buffaloes too.

I've competed with synthetic before, but this is the first time I've seen steel used in a heavily competitive environment like this. I'm curious to see how well it works out. This is a case where I think the synthetics have a slight edge in terms of safety & comfort, simply in that they have wider surfaces, so it doesn't hurt as much. Theoretically it should be roughly equivalent, but it will depend a lot on the people.

Sir Edward:

It looks like both the steel and synthetic longsword tourneys are on Friday now, with the finals on Saturday:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nPOB7IaYUt0EekG7HzFcd_V3YHz3wc0PrE1ro9YW2xU/edit#gid=660843090

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-06-13, 17:57:50 ---
It looks like both the steel and synthetic longsword tourneys are on Friday now, with the finals on Saturday:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nPOB7IaYUt0EekG7HzFcd_V3YHz3wc0PrE1ro9YW2xU/edit#gid=660843090

--- End quote ---

I had them keep me in the synthetic longsword, as it's late enough in the day, that even if I end up needing to work that morning, theoretically I should still be able to make that.

But I also had them add me to the messer tourney on Saturday. That will be fun. I'm so out of practice though, I know they're probably going to destroy me. :)

Sir Brian:
Okay then I’ll sign up for the synthetic tournament. I noticed a couple of people are representing two groups so I’ll do the same with MASHS // Order of the Marshal. :)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2014-06-13, 18:32:49 ---Okay then I’ll sign up for the synthetic tournament. I noticed a couple of people are representing two groups so I’ll do the same with MASHS // Order of the Marshal. :)

--- End quote ---

Awesome. I'm looking forward to this. I probably won't get out there on the Thursday, but a lot of that is devoted to staff/judges anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version