Main > The Armoury

Hospitaller Soft Kit

<< < (2/2)

Mike W.:
I tried making my own. The hose seem quite baggy and pull the braies down, rather than the brais holding them up. I screwed up the tunic by making the neck hole way too wide (amateur mistake). Sadly I do not have the time, the patience, or the funds to keep practicing on white linen (the materials were expensive the first time around). So if I can get them pre-made, that would be great.

Sir James A:
Ah! Practice on muslin, not the final material. It's only $1 or $2 a yard. Once you have a working pattern, transfer to the final material. You may be able to salvage some of the linen.

Sir Patrick:
+1 on Sir James's advice. If sewing your own kit, muslin is your best friend.

Sir Douglas:
Another +1 on Sir James's advice. ;D If I had to make multiple test garments out of $30-per-yard wool before I got it right, I would probably cry.

Ian:
Yes, never ever prototype on expensive fabric.

As Sir James said, muslin is the inexpensive go-to fabric for testing out patterns.  I cut up muslin to a pattern, and then tweak the muslin until I get the garment how I want it.  Then I lay the tweaked muslin pieces over the pattern and adjust the pattern to whatever adjustments I made... then I check it again... and then and only then do  I cut in to linen or wool!  But once you've got that pattern how you want it, you've got a garment for life that you know will fit so long as you stay the same.  Someone else making something, even to your measurements is always a shot in the dark if there are no fittings done in person.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version