Main > The Armoury

A Late 14th C Pisan

(1/6) > >>

Ian:
So, it was suggested to me to add a pisan to my kit (a maille standard if you speak 15th c :) ).  This is worn in addition to the bascinet/aventail combination, providing a double layer of padded maille around the throat.  I guess they felt it was important to protect that area in the Middle Ages ;-)

These things appear all over inventories of the 14th century in conjunction with aventails, so it is very appropriate to have.  I decided to make this one as 'authentically' as I could.  I bought the maille (not even going to contemplate forging wire...) from icefalcon, it's flat-ring wedge-riveted.  I then constructed a linen liner for this, and hand stitched everything on it including the quilting.  It's lightly padded with cotton on the inside.  Then I whipstitched the maille to the linen liner using waxed-linen thread.  And thence added the vegetable tanned leather edging along the top edge and sewed it all together.

Currently it only ties together in the back with leather thongs, but I will add leather straps/buckles at some point, but wanted to get done what I could for now:

Sir Douglas:
Wow! Very nice indeed!

How does all that padding feel when you move your neck around? Does it dig into the ol' Adam's apple or anything?

And kind of off-topic, but where did you get your leather?

Sir Nate:
When a man needs leather, he takes his bow and knife, and makes way into the wood.

Sir Edward:

Wow, awesome!

I, on the other hand, cheated and instead hired Fuhlen Designs to do the work. ;)

Here's how mine turned out (clicky):

Ian:
Doug, the liner feels fine against the neck.  It feels infinitely better than maille would against my skin.  I don't have a super-prominent adam's apple,  but I don't think it would matter.  It's got enough cushion that I don't think it will bother you.  I didn't notice any pressure there.  I'll report back when I've worn this thing for several hours on end though. 

The leather is a 3/4 oz vegetable tanned double shoulder I got from Tandy.  It's the same piece I plan to make the uppers of my shoes from.  I've also got a 9/10 oz double shoulder sitting around for the soles.

And Sir Ed, Jessica as always does nice work!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version