Main > The Armoury

Proper Medieval Footwear

<< < (3/10) > >>

Sir Douglas:
What's your opinion on the illustrations that show people wearing nothing but woolen chausses? Given the soft nature of period shoes, it probably wouldn't be beyond reason to go without additional foot covering. I would think chausses meant to be worn by themselves would probably benefit from a leather sole, if for no other reason than to prevent the fabric sole from wearing out quickly.

Ian:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2014-02-04, 23:15:00 ---What's your opinion on the illustrations that show people wearing nothing but woolen chausses? Given the soft nature of period shoes, it probably wouldn't be beyond reason to go without additional foot covering. I would think chausses meant to be worn by themselves would probably benefit from a leather sole, if for no other reason than to prevent the fabric sole from wearing out quickly.

--- End quote ---

I can't recall, but I'm almost certain there are depictions of chausses that did have a sole, intended for wear without a shoe. 

Chuck would probably know.

Sir Edward:
Ian is quickly becoming our resident expert on... well... everything. :)

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-02-05, 01:32:40 ---Ian is quickly becoming our resident expert on... well... everything. :)

--- End quote ---

Chuck knows all this crap... he just likes turtles too much :)

Sir Rodney:
My fighting footwear progression has, thus far, gone from white tennis shoes (give me a break, it was the early 90’s) to hiking boots with lots of ankle support (  ::) ) to steel toe barn boots (with heels!) to Viking Leathercraft 14th century buckle boots.

I love feeling the ground beneath my feet with Frank’s imported Westland shoes.  Although they’re not the most historically accurate shoe out there, they sure do feel good and look OK from 10’ (great by SCA standards).  The next logical step for me is to explore the shoe makers that Ian’s noted above.  One small step at a time.  ;)

P.S. Ian, don't sell yourself short.  You are a wealth of good information and I'm very interested to hear more of your recent brush with La Belle!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version