Main > The Armoury

Chain Mail

<< < (9/10) > >>

Don Jorge:
http://allbeststuff.com/c-medieval-chainmail-armor/c-Chain-Mail-Camail/9-mm-Flat-Washer-Camail-with-helmet-extensions

Does this mean I won't have to tailor it to have it properly attach to a bascinet? It looks like it comes with that round shape in the front for your face...Sir Ian, you may never have to tailor maile again! :)

Ian:

--- Quote from: Don Jorge on 2014-03-22, 14:31:27 ---http://allbeststuff.com/c-medieval-chainmail-armor/c-Chain-Mail-Camail/9-mm-Flat-Washer-Camail-with-helmet-extensions

Does this mean I won't have to tailor it to have it properly attach to a bascinet? It looks like it comes with that round shape in the front for your face...Sir Ian, you may never have to tailor maile again! :)

--- End quote ---

Unless it happens to exactly fit your bascinet, it will require tailoring, or it will bunch up in places or be stretched in places etc.  The nice thing with that is it would require less tailoring, because you maybe could cut off the face triangles and attach them elsewhere instead of building them from scratch, but no maille goes un-tailored for the correct fit unless you happen to be very lucky.

Plus, those triangles are wrong.  They should be right triangles to give the appropriate effect.  And they probably need to be a lot taller, see Mac's drawing here:

scott2978:
I concur. Plus, it's probably the easiest maille tailoring you'll ever do.

That does not mean it will be easy, BTW :)

Scott

Ian:
I'm about to take the plunge and make a purchase at Custom Chainmail.  I saw him advertising over on the AA, and I've emailed back and forth a couple times.  He does shirts to custom measurements, which is a really nice feature.  I'm going to replace my pin riveted franken-haubergeon with a wedge riveted more fitted version.  I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Sir Ulrich:
I'm sure you'll be more satisfied with wedge riveted maille, it's so much smoother and doesnt tear gambesons up nearly so easily. Just looked at their stuff and they do offer it in a 38 inch chest which is my chest size though I aint making anymore purchases with maille as I already have a tailored hauberk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version