Main > The Armoury

Chain Mail

<< < (6/10) > >>

Sir James A:
KoA has some off-the-rack gambesons for under $100 now, by "Lord of Battles".

I echo what Sir William said, don't skip a gambeson. Mail without a gambeson is VERY poor protection; the padding is what amplifies mail's ability to protect. Without padding the only thing absorbing the blow is your skin and bones, and that doesn't work well with steel.

Mike W.:
Well if you intend on sparring, absolutely get yourself one. But if you're just doing living history for the mid 11th century, a gambeson would not be representative for the time period.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-03-19, 18:16:53 ---Well if you intend on sparring, absolutely get yourself one. But if you're just doing living history for the mid 11th century, a gambeson would not be representative for the time period.

--- End quote ---

Do you have a source for this?

Mike W.:
I've come to understand that while gambesons do indeed date to the 10th century, their use was not widely adopted until the 13th century. While no specific sources come to mind, I've seen most historians agree that gambesons are not widely depicted in pictorial sources until the 13th century. It is possible for them to have been used, just not probable.

Sir Wolf:
thats just it, there are no sources for gamesons or aketons before the crusades. the site james barker had said the europeans looking at the sarasins wondering about their padded garments.

the roman version isn't padded, save maybe the shoulder area and there are no pics or surviving examples, we only have the writings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version