Main > The Armoury

Sir Wolf's late 13thc kit

<< < (8/10) > >>

Sir Edward:

They're a little big on me, I think, and they don't close into a fist real well. I'm tempted to take my pair apart, and use the mail to sew it onto a set of regular leather gauntlets (separating the mail into individual fingers, etc). It also probably wouldn't be hard to take the mail off, reduce the size of the leather, and put the mail back on. The same amount of mail in a smaller space would give it more stretch and compression to allow better flex.

The mail is sewn on in a very simple way. All they did was spiral-stitch a cord around the edges.

Sir Brian:
Heh, well at least the makers of that pair didn't maille the palms as well like the first pair of
maille gauntlets I bought over a year ago. Those stupid things wouldn't allow you to even make
a fist!  :D
The size of the rings usually don't help matters either, speaking of which, if you're going to
go to all that trouble of modifying that pair, why don't you just purchase a couple of sheets of
that smaller ring welded maille from the ring lord and sew them onto a pair of gloves?  :-\

Sir Edward:

That's an option too, of course, though I already own these. Heh. :) I haven't decided yet. The rings on these are similar in size to the ones in my hauberk, and smaller rings would be nice. I'll have to think on it.

Sir Matthew:
When I get back to work on my Teutonic Knight in the off season, I want to try my hand at making gauntlets with scale backs and mail palms.  I know this isn't really functional (as previously pointed out) or techinically period, but for looks and intimidation they would really kick ass!

Sir Wolf:
i dunno about the mail palms. you'd never be able to grip a sword.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version