Main > The Armoury

14th Century Arming Coat Patterns?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Thorsteinn:
Constructing a Heavy-List Gambeson: Tips and Techniques

http://whitemountainarmoury.com/pdfs/armingCoat.pdf

Sir Rodney:
Wow Ian, I missed your threads here and on myArmoury!  I really like the grand assiette sleeve construction.

My current rig started as a standard gambeson that I heavily modified over the years as I figured out proper body mechanics.  I still wear a single layer “pourpoint” under the gambeson to get my legs to hang correctly and not ride up when raising my arms.

I like the idea of moving to a single garment made with proper materials and technique in order to save weight, heat, and arming time.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Lord Rodney on 2014-01-21, 04:39:02 ---Wow Ian, I missed your threads here and on myArmoury!  I really like the grand assiette sleeve construction.

My current rig started as a standard gambeson that I heavily modified over the years as I figured out proper body mechanics.  I still wear a single layer “pourpoint” under the gambeson to get my legs to hang correctly and not ride up when raising my arms.

I like the idea of moving to a single garment made with proper materials and technique in order to save weight, heat, and arming time.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Scott! Not only do I like the CdB pourpoint because it's more historical, but the switch to just one garment versus two is so much more comfortable and less encumbering.  It makes a huge difference in how good you feel in harness to shed those unnecessary layers.

Sir Rodney:
I finally buckled down and ordered the pourpoint of Charles de Blois pattern book from “Tailoress” Tasha Kelly and her wonderful La cotte simple web site.

Now I just have to wait for the mailman to deliver!

scott2978:
I'm currently making a CdB with Tasha's pattern, and so far it's fairly easy. The initial steps of making a mock garment from muslin is a great idea. You might want to brush up on your tailoring jargon, I had to figure out what a "selvage" was for instance, but none of it is especially hard. Sewing all the parts together by hand is the worst of it, the patterns and instructions make it really easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version