"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: oh the drama~~ oh the tragedy  (Read 4886 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
oh the drama~~ oh the tragedy
« on: 2009-01-10, 22:15:16 »
hehehe its a good problem.  My wife said I have some Christmas money to burn! say around 400. WHAT to BUY?!?! hehehe
The main things I've had my eyes on this year are helmets. Here are a few that I've been considering:

Crusader

1st C. AD

2nd C. AD

3rd C. AD

Each of the picture's is a clicky so you can check them out on their respective sites. sigh. just don't know which to buy.  The crusader would help me work on my faire kit.  I've been wanting to touch up the ole 13thc gear and a new helmet I think would just do the trick.  The 1stc AD helmet would go nicely in my helms thru the ages collection. I've got the rest of the kit for it too.  The 2ndc AD helmet is very nice, but I don't have a kit for it... do I need to start another one without finishing the rest? and finally the 3rdc AD helmet.  This is the most expensive helm, and so in getting it, I couldn't get anything else.  I have all of the rest of the kit save for the helmet.

any incites or help? besides getting me a padded jacket? any other great alternatives out there to lure me away from helmet purchases?

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: oh the drama~~ oh the tragedy
« Reply #1 on: 2009-01-11, 04:10:35 »
well. i think I've talked myself into getting the great helm and the 1st c AD roman helm. this leaves me with some cash to get an armouring fluting stake from a guy on the Armour Archive( he's throwing in an addition tool too!) sorry to sound like a sounding board, but i needed somewhere to write it all out and look at it. :)

I told the wife she had to get me the 3rd CAD roman helm for my B Day hehehe ;)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2009-01-11, 19:30:56 »

Awesome, sounds like a good choice. Good bang for the buck!
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2009-01-15, 16:51:12 »
my great helm came today. i am pretty happy with it. the only thing is it is a little long for me (maybe i have a short neck)  I may need to take 1/2-1 inch off the bottom so I have some wiggle room and ability to move my head around freely.  the rivets look easy to remove to add my helmet liner in as well. :)

pics to follow soon, the roman helm is in the ups truck and should be here today.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2009-01-15, 19:20:57 »

I'm assuming you tried it on with a liner + coif + padded cap? I found with mine that with the arming cap and coif, I was able to put the right amount of padding in to center the eye slots at my eye height, and it fit perfectly. But of course I haven't tried the MRL version, so I don't know how high above the bottom rim the eyes are.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2009-01-15, 19:42:18 »
ya the eyes almost fit perfectly just with a coif while the bottom of the helm sits on the mantle so i think the eyes are set up a lil high for me. cutting the bottom edge with a angle grinder or dremel shouldn't be too hard

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2009-01-15, 23:30:07 »

here they are! KOA sent a padded cap with the roman helm, buuuuutt, with my fat head i can't wear it and still wear the helmet.  also, i think i am gonna have to cut some length out of the great helm. also i can't put in a padded liner, maybe a leather one instead. i tried on the helm with my coif and the padded coif under it... kinda tight. so i may have to make a thinner padded coif for this helmet. i did notice i do have the same rivets that they used, so i can pop out some of them and replace them when i put in the liner band :)

pics are clicky, enjoy!