Main > The Armoury

Armstreet new harness

<< < (2/7) > >>

Don Jorge:
On AA there was also discussion about the gauntlets not being the proper period and lacking the second plate under the knuckle.

Ian:
The cuirass is also very flat for a Churburg #13 copy.  Should be more globose.  I would skip those greaves Sir Nathan, they will be wholly incompatible with sabs if you ever wanted to add them.  Mikael at armstreet will customize things for you, so I would talk to him first.  I think there are better options out there for more historically shaped pieces though.

Here's what a historically correct Churburg #13 inspired harness should look like, just expect to take out a mortgage to pay for it ;-) :

Ian:

--- Quote from: Belemrys on 2014-01-10, 22:29:14 ---On AA there was also discussion about the gauntlets not being the proper period and lacking the second plate under the knuckle.

--- End quote ---

The knuckle rider is a nice-to-have, but it's not incorrect to not have it.  Having owned gauntlets with and without, I would say that I would never go back to without knuckle riders.

But I don't see what's not the correct period about those.  The original Churburg #13 has hourglass demis on it.  That's the only style of gauntlet that goes with a late 14th century harness.

Sir Wolf:
his cuffs look like giant bells

SirNathanQ:
Yeah, those greaves perplex me. Why they would do them in that style irks me. I mean, Armstreet has clear examples of greaves made in a correct form (as much as can be expected with budget in mind) yet they use that odd style for their nicest harness to date.

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-01-10, 23:07:45 ---The cuirass is also very flat for a Churburg #13 copy.  Should be more globose.  I would skip those greaves Sir Nathan, they will be wholly incompatible with sabs if you ever wanted to add them.  Mikael at armstreet will customize things for you, so I would talk to him first.  I think there are better options out there for more historically shaped pieces though.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it is rather flat for the type, but I wouldn't consider it truly farby. I'd consider it period, but atypical (which in my book is worse than typical, but better than inaccurate). It does look well made though, and I think in execution it is way better than the other offerings by Armstreet.

I think for the greaves, and the leg harness, I will get a more utilitarian model, and request the greaves from this offering, which I admit still aren't shaped like a good custom greave, but aren't outright farby like the others with the weird cutoff.
I also probably wouldn't wear the harness with sabatons, as I want to retain a Germanic feel to it (in Germany, the effigies indicate that sabatons were entirely optional)
http://armstreet.com/store/armor/exclusive-knight-full-leg-armor-thigh-plates-knee-cops-greaves

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version