Main > The Armoury

Armstreet new harness

(1/7) > >>

SirNathanQ:
Anyone taken a look at this glorious frickin thing? Holy crap it looks good.
My only gripe is the lack of actual ankles on their greaves. Their shaping is very solid for the price, but that rounded off bottom just ruins the greave for me.

http://armstreet.com/store/armor/medieval-western-knights-armor-kit-the-kings-guard

Sir William:
Wow, that IS real pretty!  I'd bet Mikael would take that suggestion and roll with it if you were ordering that harness.  Might be something no one else pointed out as of yet.

Ian:
Gorgeous!  Yeah, the greaves are weird, they should come down lower and form a saddle over the top of the foot to protect the ankle points.  If I was going to nitpick or use it for LH I would swap out the butted aventail for a good one, get a knuckle rider on the gauntlets, and shrink the fan on the knee poleyns.  And of course it's covered in etching... which they didn't do yet, it would have to be engraving to be time appropriate.   I really love the fabric covered hoop fauld, and the colors they chose on that particular example are really striking.  The prayers all over it make it very cool!

SirNathanQ:
Yeah, the little details really separate it from say, a harness of your quality, Sir Ian, but it is a real step forward in semi-custom harness.

I'm thinking of getting a piece or two of the harness.

Mainly that fauld.

What I'm considering is a fighting harness, in the central European late 14th century style, and that would be a perfect solution to hip protection.

I already have a satisfactory bascinet, and the arms are covered, so I'd need the cuirass, the fauld, gauntlets, and legs.

I think I would get the Kings Guard fauld and gaunlets/ matching leather covering, and have the rest be more utilitarian items from Armstreet. That way there's no farby etching and it it rather common to see (in the 14th and 15th centuries) harnesses with certain parts decorated Gauntlets, the knee central copp, ect, so I feel the look would be rather historic.

My only issue with that layout is that I can't discern a good way to display heraldry  :P

Thoughts?

Sir James A:
Saw it on FB, I've got a bunch of little nit-picks with it (multiple greaves things as the biggest) - but I was floored by how awesome the leather covered gauntlets and fauld look, and the brasswork too.

Though I must say, I'm upset with this thread; by the title, I thought Sir Nathan had just acquired a new harness.

Sir Nathan, I bet you could ask Armstreet to do that same armor with simple brass trim, no etching/engraving, and the price should come down, too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version