Main > The Armoury

Padded Gambeson

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir Humphrey:
Thanks Ian and Douglas,

Is the issue just shaping the garment to fit the hips and to sinch up tight just above the hips so it will take the weight?  If so, I can make it do that. 

If not pointed to the gambeson, would one have to have a belt or some other device under the gambeson to hold up mail chauses?

Sir Patrick:
Go with a purpoint to keep the weight from digging into your hips. A c-belt will work as well, but not as comfortable.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Humphrey on 2014-01-04, 01:30:26 ---Thanks Ian and Douglas,

Is the issue just shaping the garment to fit the hips and to sinch up tight just above the hips so it will take the weight?  If so, I can make it do that. 

If not pointed to the gambeson, would one have to have a belt or some other device under the gambeson to hold up mail chauses?

--- End quote ---

You could make it do that, but there's no evidence of a garment that did that that early in the century.

The short answer to your other question is no one really knows! :)  Joe Metz uses one of the revival clothing vest garments (revival calls it a pourpoint, but it's really not).  You could also use a belt, but it would be much less comfortable.

Sir Ulrich:
If you're wearing a surcoat with your maille you can cheat like I do and clench a belt around your midsection and it would reduce the weight by 2 thirds on your shoulders. Just be sure to have your hands up and have someone else help put it on or you'll end up with flexibility issues in the armpit, of course you can remedy that by adding gussets in the armpit, I have yet to do that with my maille as it's riveted. Best thing to wear chausses with is a Pourpoint which can be purchased at Revival Clothing, will cost a bit but it's better than a c belt and allows more flexibility, does cost about 30-40% more but it's worth it honestly.

Sir Edward:

As others have said, no one knows for sure how the mail chausses were attached, but the likelihood is that they were simply attached to a belt of some kind, similar to how the fabric clothing chausses were pointed to the braies.

I use a belt for mine, and I can share my my experiences with this. I've found that it works best to attach at the sides, like fabric chausses, rather than the front.

Also, the belt needs to be beyond tight. Not just "wow, kinda tight"... but all the way into "OMGWTF TIGHT!" territory. :)  As in, however tight I would make it for pants, I need to tighten it about 6" beyond that, minimum. This is quite uncomfortable at first, but after a while you get used to it, but it will ache after a few hours.

If not tightened enough, they'll seem comfortable at first, but after maybe an hour they will become extremely painful, because the belt can work itself down over the corners of the hips.

Part of the problem with mail chausses is that they have decent amount of weight, and there is no natural structure to your body that holds the weight, since they taper downward. With every step, they want to work their way off your legs. You can mitigate some of this by lacing it in a variety of places, particularly right below the knee (top of the calf muscle). A tight lace here will help keep it from riding down too much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version