Main > The Armoury

SCA Combat Archers

<< < (7/9) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-01-31, 20:08:31 ---Ya I'll have to go to the combat practice. I'm sorry, I didn't address going to it.
How about this, once I go to a combat practice and get associated with a local group, I'll inform you guys of what kinda stuff I'll need.
It will probably be in spring.  When the weather warms up.

--- End quote ---

sounds like a solid plan!

RackThor:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-01-27, 19:25:11 ---Dont you need to have done HEMA Or something along those lines to join or particapate in s.c.a.?

--- End quote ---

Actually they have people "Marshals" that will train you in any form of martial combat that you want. But to join is easy as showing up to meetings, going to events, etc. To be an official member there is a fee but that is it.

RackThor:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-01-29, 00:13:08 ---Well, I think Ill do good.
I have 2 years of sport fencing exeperience.
Sparred with my brothers(free style) up till I was about 12.
Ya, lol. Thought I needed more combat experience to join Sca
Wow, This is Good News! im gonna Join As soon As I have the Right Gear.
So far I have one thing that is(from reading requirements) sca worthy.
This Is Fantastic News!
give me a few years Ill be on the fields of Pennsic in No time.
Huzzah!

--- End quote ---

Rejoice my friend! If you need any aid in joining let me know or let your local chapters chatelaine know because it is our job to help bring in new people. Looking from your photo if that is you than you seem to have everything you need

RackThor:

--- Quote from: Lord Rodney on 2014-01-31, 03:13:49 ---
--- Quote from: RackThor on 2014-01-02, 17:13:16 ---SCA target archery is not too different from target practice really, however I wanted to see if any of you have personal stories about being, or encountering combat archers on the field of battle. Were they effective? How did you fight combat archers? If you are one share your knowledge, and if your good at beating them please do the same.

Thank you,

RackThor

--- End quote ---

Sorry RackThor, I meant to answer your question but then … Squirrel! … Where was I?  Ah yes, SCA archery.

SCA target archery is a separate competitive sport very similar to regular target archery, except you’re in period clothing and using the most period bow that you can make or afford.  You shoot at butts or bales and are scored accordingly.  Sometimes Kingdoms run a yearlong championship at several different events and the total points winner is crowned archery champion.

SCA combat archery is a whole other animal.  You are required wear full armour and are considered fair game on the field of combat.  The arrows are very large in diameter and the safety tips are heavy.   Combine this with gauntlets and your accuracy leaves something to be desired.

The best way I can describe SCA combat archery is like having a 20’ spear.  You can reach out and touch others who can’t reach you in return (Knights hate this fact).  Working in pairs with another archer has worked well for me.  It’s hard for your targets to focus on two archers 10’ apart.  When the lead archer fires, the second archer usually finds a nice gap to hit as someone invariably raises a shield or tries to protect their buddy.  Beware of flanking maneuvers as a unit that catches an undefended archer in the backfield will grind you into the ground for the suffering you’ve caused.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for your advice and insight!

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: RackThor on 2014-02-05, 19:25:05 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-01-29, 00:13:08 ---Well, I think Ill do good.
I have 2 years of sport fencing exeperience.
Sparred with my brothers(free style) up till I was about 12.
Ya, lol. Thought I needed more combat experience to join Sca
Wow, This is Good News! im gonna Join As soon As I have the Right Gear.
So far I have one thing that is(from reading requirements) sca worthy.
This Is Fantastic News!
give me a few years Ill be on the fields of Pennsic in No time.
Huzzah!

--- End quote ---

Rejoice my friend! If you need any aid in joining let me know or let your local chapters chatelaine know because it is our job to help bring in new people. Looking from your photo if that is you than you seem to have everything you need

--- End quote ---

None of my stuff is combat worthy.
My helm is only 16 gauge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version