Main > The Armoury

SCA Combat Archers

<< < (5/9) > >>

Don Jorge:
Nate, you would still need elbow, knee, and kidney protection at minimum...also gloves (duh)

Ian:
Some individual groups have requirements that go above and beyond the basic requirements found in the SCA Marshall's Handbook.  You should really go to an SCA fighter practice FIRST and they will be able to guide you on all the specific requirements that govern them.  I know it's very tempting to buy a bunch of stuff beforehand, but you're going to waste a lot of money and end up replacing a bunch of stuff in the future because you got too excited and jumped the gun and bought stuff your local group is going to say no to.  Let your local SCA group tell you what you should and should not get.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-01-29, 00:15:30 ---Buying gear before playing is not advised.

--- End quote ---

Oh, *I* will totally advise buying gear before playing. I'll advise buying multiple sets of gear, so you have different ones to try out.

But that's because I'm happy to spend other people's money on lots of armor, whether they need to or not. ;)

**** I'm joking about buying lots of gear. Best way is to see if you like something before you spend the money. If you like it, invest in it. ****

Sir Nate:
Well I have my fencing mask, some thick hockey gloves. And some 14 gauge knee pads on upper leg padding.
That would get me through some practices .

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-01-30, 03:42:33 ---Well I have my fencing mask, some thick hockey gloves. And some 14 gauge knee pads on upper leg padding.
That would get me through some practices .

--- End quote ---

You can't use a fencing mask for SCA heavy combat.  There are also several other pieces of protection required just to meet the minimums.  Just go to a fighter practice and let them show you the ropes and show you what specific gear you need.  Not sure why you seem kind of resistant to doing that.  I'm positive the SCA veterans on this forum would advise you just go and see what you think, and get in some loner gear first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version