Main > The Armoury

Turn of the 13th/14th Century kit

<< < (2/2)

Sir James A:
My floating poleyns have the strap behind the knee and points at both sides, that I lace directly to the mail, since I have full mail chausses.

For schynbalds, my guess is that the 3 strap combination is for one strap above the calf to keep it from sliding down, and the other two more to keep it from flopping around. A floating one functions different than a case & articulated greave, so the 3-strap setup looks functional to me - though I have not tried it.

Sir Patrick:
My Merc Tailor schynbalds are 2-strappers. No problems whatsoever with them moving around.

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-01-01, 06:05:35 ---
My biggest problems is that the mail chausses sometimes sit at slightly different heights on my leg, depending how tightly I tied things, and how long I've had them on, and this affects the position of the knee.

--- End quote ---

That's a concern of mine, as well. I'm wondering if pointing to a gamboised cuisse instead of directly to the mail might help a little, but I'll have to experiment a bit and see what happens. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make some cuisses if I had to.

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2014-01-02, 01:48:47 ---For schynbalds, my guess is that the 3 strap combination is for one strap above the calf to keep it from sliding down, and the other two more to keep it from flopping around. A floating one functions different than a case & articulated greave, so the 3-strap setup looks functional to me - though I have not tried it.

--- End quote ---

That's what I was thinking, too. I remember a point coming up in that other thread about the calf muscle preventing legs from sliding down, so it seems like it should work like that in this situation as well.

Great info, guys; keep it coming! I have to say, if there's one thing my adventures into armoring has taught me, it's that those guys back then were smart. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version