Main > The Armoury

Armor recommendations??

<< < (3/13) > >>

Sir James A:
Butted mail is by far the cheapest, but the biggest headache, in my opinion. Some of the stuff on eBay comes from India, where some regular stores get it, but the shipping can be excessive since it isn't already imported in bulk. As Sir Wolf said, links are great for us to help give feedback. You won't find a hauberk and coif for $150, except *maybe* butted mail. But be prepared for weight, and replacing rings more often than with riveted.

Thorsteinn:
My 2 cents:

Master Knuut's welded aventail I bought 2 years ago is holding up well and I'm rather glad I spent the $250 for it. It was $25 cheaper than the wedge rivited stuff.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2013-12-30, 23:54:53 ---My 2 cents:

Master Knuut's welded aventail I bought 2 years ago is holding up well and I'm rather glad I spent the $250 for it. It was $25 cheaper than the wedge rivited stuff.

--- End quote ---

People swear by Master Knuut's stuff up and down.  It's welded, so not historic for crusader era, but if you don't mind that, it will hold up probably better than any other form of maille.   If you want riveted to be historic, the GDFB stuff at Kult of Athena is great as is the stuff that Duke Icefalcon sells.

I would avoid butted maille and I would also avoid the zinc coated galvanized maille.  Mild steel is the best if you don't mind keeping it oiled.  Stainless looks the part but is expensive. 

Thorsteinn:
Also there is Duke Andreas Icefalke of Icefalcon Armories who sells maille. I was going to buy his $275 wedge-riveted maille aventail but I looked at my wallet and decided not having to maintain it as much was going to really matter if the economy didn't pick up (and it didn't out here).

However when I have the cash for a byrnie it'll be period stuff all the way.

Sir James A:
I bought a pin riveted stainless 9mm pin riveted aventail for around $125. I think KOA? Maybe $15 for shipping.

I've found IceFalcon and GDFB/KOA to be similar in quality and customer service too.

I've seen historical mail that looks almost so flush and smooth you have to look close to see that it isn't welded. Super smooth. I've debated on welded mail for voiders and a fauld; it's hard to tailor unless you use butted or riveted rings (or can weld), but for loosely shaped items like voiders and fauld, seems like a valid option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version