Main > The Armoury

Armor recommendations??

(1/13) > >>

LionPride32:

--- Quote ---"Long Live King Richard!!!
--- End quote ---
Morning Crusaders

I've been looking at what Kult ofAthena has for armor that I may add to my kit. First of all, MAIL. I don't know which kind to get, some are notably more expensive than others...Id also like vambraces, maybe shoulder guards, and a nice solid pair of gloves. Helmet I will get into last. Any recommendations? What kind (guage) mail does anyone else have? Price ranges???   I just don't wanna break the bank for my kit...hehehe

--- Quote ---
--- End quote ---

Don Jorge:
From my research it seems you are going to want Wedge Riveted Solid Rings that are flattened...It is the most comfortable and durable type of mail

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB2484&name=Chain+Mail+Hauberk+-+Wedge+Riveted-Solid+Ring+-+Flattened+ring+-+Mild+Steel+48%27%27+Chest

Ian:

--- Quote from: Belemrys on 2013-12-29, 15:15:24 ---From my research it seems you are going to want Wedge Riveted Solid Rings that are flattened...It is the most comfortable and durable type of mail

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB2484&name=Chain+Mail+Hauberk+-+Wedge+Riveted-Solid+Ring+-+Flattened+ring+-+Mild+Steel+48%27%27+Chest

--- End quote ---

Wedge rivets are not appropriate for the crusader era.  Which begs the question, are you interested in a historical kit or a fantasy kit?  By fantasy I don't necessarily mean elves, dwarves, and orcs, but also mixing time periods, like plate shoulders on an otherwise maille kit which would have never been appropriate for any historical time period.

Give us some guidelines and we can help you much better.  Many of us are very experienced with specific time periods and how to go about getting armor done right.

The other vital part is what do you plan to use the armor for?  If you're interested in the SCA, their armor requirements are very different from what you would wear if you were going for a historical kit.

TL:DR - Historical or fantasy?  What's the purpose of the armor going to be?  Give us as specific a time period as possible (to the decade or quarter century) if you're interested in historical.

Sir James A:
Sir Ian covered it well, including wedge rivet appropriateness; we can give better answers when we know the purpose(s) of the armor.

If there's a specific question for the different types, let me know. I've had butted mail before, and also have GDFB and IceFalcon, in both pin rivet and wedge rivet, in both mild and stainless. (Yes, I'm registered and participating in AAA - Armor Addicts Anonymous)

Sir Nate:
If for historical I think Crusaders had domed riveted?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version