Main > The Courtyard

Cutting targets for Albion Swords

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2013-12-29, 01:07:48 ---Sir James how did you get such a perfect cutting pic?

--- End quote ---

Sir Ian took the picture, and explained how above :) He got quite a few fantastic photos of me. I had no idea I am so photogenic; it helps when I have my helmet on though...

Lord Dane:
He took his time to. That cabbage was just asking for it.  :P

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-12-26, 21:02:17 ---One thing you can do, is not just think of "I cut it" or "I didn't cut" it. Examine the cut pieces:

* Did it curve upwards or downwards?
* Did it cut most of the way through and leave a jagged edge where it failed by momentum strain instead of a clean, perfect slice?
* Do you have a straight, smooth cut?

--- End quote ---

This really is the best way to learn what you're doing. Tatami is great for this, but as we pointed out, it's more expensive and requires preparation. But if you can get your hand on pumpkins, cabbages, and various other large veggies, they can work for this as well.

You ideally want a cut that does not curve in the target. Curvature can come from a few different things: Bad edge alignment (meaning the blade is not moving in a line perfectly parallel to its edge), or there's a curve to your swing, or there's enough of those other factors to cause the target to move while the blade is still inside it.

With a really clean cut, even a cabbage will allow the lower half to stay nearly motionless on the stand, and the upper half to fly off. A poor cut may cut cleanly, but send the entire cabbage flying, so there's still something to be learned from it even if the cut halves look perfect.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-12-29, 11:47:33 ---He took his time to. That cabbage was just asking for it.  :P

--- End quote ---

That year or two I worked in a salad bar did not go to waste. :D

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-12-30, 21:40:23 ---
--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-12-29, 11:47:33 ---He took his time to. That cabbage was just asking for it.  :P

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Did you supply them with freshly cleaved lettuce.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version