Main > The Library

A Knight's Tale

<< < (3/10) > >>

Sir Edward:

I do love this movie. When I first saw it in the theater, I was rolling my eyes at every little nuance that they fudged, such as the music, the costuming, and the fact that they're not getting flogged for saying certain things outside of their station ;)

But I came to realize that the movie is no more or less "accurate" than just about any other movie out there. It's just that this one one is completely unapologetic about it, and has fun with it. The story itself is a lot of fun, so I like to pull the DVD out periodically and give it a spin.

Sir James A:
Sir Edward, agreed. Part of the "success" rating of a Hollywood movie is how much income it generates; by leaving a broad target audience and not worrying about any of the historical details, to get a more modern style story - I think the movie succeeded in that. And if it gets people interested in renn fests, we can only hope they will seek out the sword fighters and jousters. Then we can draw them to the historical side. :D

Sir Brian:
In an interview under the special features of the DVD, Brian Helgeland explained the reason he used contemporary music in the movie was to convey the concept that the main characters were like any younger generation regardless of the time they live insofar as they would like music that their parents would hate, they would dress differently than their previous generations, etc. – I personally think he captured that nuance very well.  :)

Don Jorge:
Yeah, the movie doesn't take itself seriously and it has a great score! Considering how little directed attention for historical accuracy you still walk away from the movie wanting to go put armor on :)

Sir Douglas:
They use the rhythm loop from We Will Rock You before one of the jousts at the Pittsburgh RenFest. I wonder how many people actually get the reference to A Knight's Tale. ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version