Main > The Armoury

Leg Arming Points

(1/2) > >>

Sir Douglas:
I often see arming points for leg armor attached towards the front-ish part of the leg. However, whenever I tie something to the front of my leg (armor, woolen chausses, whatever), I often find that it gets uncomfortable after a while. There's too much motion going on with the point. It slacks when I sit or otherwise bend my legs forward and whatever is on my leg slides down. Then when I get back up or otherwise put my legs backwards, it tries to pull said leg-gear back to the original position with varying degrees of success. Woolen chausses aren't too bad, but I find that my mail tends to get "stuck" in its lower position and just causes all kinds of problems. To combat this, I started pointing things to the sides of my legs so that it follows the natural pivot and there's not as much stretching and compression going on at the point.

But the thing is, I know I've seen plenty of people point to the front (The pics of Ian's Charles de Blois pourpoint immediately come to mind - there seems to be a point directly at the front, and one sort of off to the side, but still somewhat towards the front). So anyone who has pointed to the front, is there some kind of trick to it that I'm missing? It seems like it wouldn't be ergonomic, but it must be if so many people do it. I mostly ask so I'll have some heads-up in case I ever start making plate leg harnesses. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the location of the point relative to the hips, but I can't quite figure it out....

Don Jorge:
Aye, pointing is a mystery to me too...I am about to get some loaner legs for SCA and somehow I have to point it and make sure they are comfy...

Ian:
Doug, what are you pointing your armor to? And are we talking about maille chausses or plate cuisses?

Sir Edward:

As far as I know, fabric chausses should be pointed at the sides, and mail chausses were likely done the same way.

For plate legs, I think the idea is that most of the weight should be held up by the strapping, particularly at the top of the calf muscles, and the pointing only partially holds some weight, and otherwise is just meant to keep the top of the cuisse from separating from the leg.

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-12-18, 14:56:57 ---Doug, what are you pointing your armor to? And are we talking about maille chausses or plate cuisses?

--- End quote ---

Started with pointing my mail chausses to my aketon, but switched to a belt.
I'm mostly wondering about the pointing method for plate, though, since I'd eventually like to try my hand at some. I understand the need for a pourpoint that's tight around the waist and that has grand assiette sleeves and whatnot, I'm just a little unsure about the actual attachment of the cuisses.

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-12-18, 15:47:30 ---
As far as I know, fabric chausses should be pointed at the sides, and mail chausses were likely done the same way.

For plate legs, I think the idea is that most of the weight should be held up by the strapping, particularly at the top of the calf muscles, and the pointing only partially holds some weight, and otherwise is just meant to keep the top of the cuisse from separating from the leg.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I found out that both types of my chausses worked a lot better when attached to the side, so I'd be inclined to agree with you there. ;D That's the only downside with making this stuff as opposed to buying it from someone who knows what they're doing....lots of trial and error.

So it's mostly the strapping that keeps leg harnesses in place? I'd imagine they'd have to be fairly tight, then, right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version