Main > The Armoury

Functional Leather armor?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Thorsteinn:
What period? There is "real" leather armour and the Japanese & Chinese made it. The Japanese lacquered theirs in a process best mimicked my using salad bowl.... something (damn sick brain) because the historic process is highly toxic.

Have you searched the Armour Archive for processes and makers?

Sir James A:
Yes, the samurai armor that was lacquered is a toxic process. They didn't use "raw" leather. They hardened the leather scales because they lacked the ability to forge steel like the europeans could.

Like Sir Wolf said, there's not much as far as "historical" leather armor. Even 2,000 years ago they were using bronze, not leather.

If you want something functional that just "doesn't look like LARP", check the Viking Leathercrafts armor. They do full arms/shoulders/legs.

Thorsteinn:
And the guy up in Vancouver, BC that does good work too who's name I forget.

Sir Wulf:
I want something functional with at least the look of historically accurate. I've worn and fought in several different kinds of armor and I just don't need full plate. Maille is great but it tends to enhance the effect of blunt force trauma. I need a light armor that can stand up to full contact sparring and also would survive contact with sharpened edge weapons. I have looked at just about every leather armor producer there is. The Viking age stuff looks good but is wrong for the time period I'm trying to stay in.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-11-25, 17:01:10 ---Yes, the samurai armor that was lacquered is a toxic process. They didn't use "raw" leather. They hardened the leather scales because they lacked the ability to forge steel like the europeans could.

Like Sir Wolf said, there's not much as far as "historical" leather armor. Even 2,000 years ago they were using bronze, not leather.

If you want something functional that just "doesn't look like LARP", check the Viking Leathercrafts armor. They do full arms/shoulders/legs.
--- End quote ---

Concur and he also does a cuirass as well in 13-15 oz leather!  ;)
http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/torso-armor.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version