Main > The Armoury

How Do I Make My Knightly Tunic/Surcoat

<< < (2/8) > >>

Aiden of Oreland:
14th-15th century but for now im going to hold back making making one. For I am not fully grown. Plus I may have a change of heart. Plus it will be german.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2013-11-22, 20:07:03 ---14th-15th century but for now im going to hold back making making one. For I am not fully grown. Plus I may have a change of heart. Plus it will be german.

--- End quote ---

By the 15th century surcoats pretty much go out of style.  They change drastically over the course of the 14th century, so if you can narrow down to a decade or two, that would determine the type of surcoat you would wear.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-11-22, 20:53:29 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2013-11-22, 20:07:03 ---14th-15th century but for now im going to hold back making making one. For I am not fully grown. Plus I may have a change of heart. Plus it will be german.

--- End quote ---

By the 15th century surcoats pretty much go out of style.  They change drastically over the course of the 14th century, so if you can narrow down to a decade or two, that would determine the type of surcoat you would wear.

--- End quote ---

Could you show me examples of 14th century German surcoats?

Ian:
Don't think of centuries as culturally isolated from one another.  It's just a convenient way to tell time, nothing more.  So the 14th century is not a cohesive unit of time that has cultural similarity within itself, and thus distinguishes itself from the 13th or 15th centuries.  Rather, cultural changes happen on their own time, and often happen over the span of decades, not centuries.  That was a really long way for me to say that styles change rapidly within one century and are not the same or even similar throughout :)

Anyways... for the beginning of the 14th century you're looking at a long ankle-length surcoat like this:

In general, during the middle of the century, you're looking at the surcoat getting shorter (just above knee length) like these:

By the later parts of the 14th century, the Germans, much like the French and English have gone to the Jupon, which is still a 'surcoat' but it's very tightly fitted and very short (ignore the cape he has on):

The 'Cyclas' style surcoat, or the short in the front, long in the back style doesn't really seem to be a thing in Germany, but it was definitely big in England during the 1340's.

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-11-22, 22:42:21 ---Don't think of centuries as culturally isolated from one another.  It's just a convenient way to tell time, nothing more.  So the 14th century is not a cohesive unit of time that has cultural similarity within itself, and thus distinguishes itself from the 13th or 15th centuries.  Rather, cultural changes happen on their own time, and often happen over the span of decades, not centuries.  That was a really long way for me to say that styles change rapidly within one century and are not the same or even similar throughout :)

--- End quote ---

Agreed. It's a natural human quirk to want to "compress" time the farther back you go; it's hard to fully grasp how long a century really is, and how much change can take place in that amount of time.

When I start losing track or getting confused, I like to think of our own recent history: the 20th century. To say that blue jeans and t-shirts was the fashion for the entire 20th century would be silly, especially to anyone who was around in the 1940s and 1950s. Compare an American World War I soldier to an American Vietnam soldier to an American Gulf War soldier. It's still all 20th century, but they all have their differences and similarities. It just helps put things in perspective a little bit. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version