"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: How Do I Make My Knightly Tunic/Surcoat  (Read 30431 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: How Do I Make My Knightly Tunic/Surcoat
« Reply #30 on: 2013-11-27, 12:48:08 »
Good luck with the bascinet visor fitting under a Great helm. Not meant to go together.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2013-11-27, 15:21:01 »
That's certainly interesting with those helmets. I had only seen the visorless as well.

I think Sir Ian is correct. A klappvisor's visor is easily removed, and would probably need to happen to fit the helmet over the head. I can't see it possibly fitting anywhere near correctly with the visor on too - not to mention it also doubles the vision restrictions, looking through visor slots inside of visor slots.

Careful with Wikipedia as a source. It's not always reliable, and is sometimes just regurgitated from another site, which may be incorrect. If they cited that, check the original source if you can.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #32 on: 2013-12-01, 22:18:31 »
Ya, I kind of only use wikipedia as a "guideline" if ya catch my meaning. To kinda get me in the right direction. But, a problem I am now facing is actually finding a bascinet (not klappvisor) w/ aventail. The only place that I can find one is therionarms but even then, it is discontinued. I mean if I have to I'll ask Clang's armory or royal oak armory for a costum made one to fit under a helmet of my choosing.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #33 on: 2013-12-01, 22:45:40 »
Ya, I kind of only use wikipedia as a "guideline" if ya catch my meaning. To kinda get me in the right direction. But, a problem I am now facing is actually finding a bascinet (not klappvisor) w/ aventail. The only place that I can find one is therionarms but even then, it is discontinued. I mean if I have to I'll ask Clang's armory or royal oak armory for a costum made one to fit under a helmet of my choosing.

Hurry up. They are discontinued. I got one. They still have a couple. Historically accurate look.
Aventail is black butted ring maille with brass trim but can be changed out easy enough.

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/bascinet-with-aventail-gauge-p-967.html?osCsid=f75d843c4a278cd55c1a367b4e24d7bc
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #34 on: 2013-12-01, 23:48:08 »

Hurry up. They are discontinued. I got one. They still have a couple. Historically accurate look.
Aventail is black butted ring maille with brass trim but can be changed out easy enough.

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/bascinet-with-aventail-gauge-p-967.html?osCsid=f75d843c4a278cd55c1a367b4e24d7bc

By Jov! I cannot get it this moment :( but maybe you can get it for me for chrismas lol. How much is it in $ not £ do you think I could possibly get it in the next month? I mean if they say discontinued then none other will purchase it right?

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #35 on: 2013-12-02, 01:33:30 »
Oh never mind, its $294.9704. Thats not too bad. Gonna need to work hard lol. Thanks man, I was starting to get angery that I couldn't find any bascinets.