Main > The Armoury

How Do I Make My Knightly Tunic/Surcoat

<< < (6/8) > >>

Don Jorge:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-11-25, 17:06:29 ---
--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-11-25, 11:33:17 ---Be careful Aiden or Sir James will have you buying 'the national debt'. :) LOL

--- End quote ---

It's an antique! And priceless! Plus, the value of the debt keeps going up. It's a solid investment, nothing else on the market like it. Literally the only one of it's kind!

--- End quote ---

/wrists

sad truth...

Aiden of Oreland:
This may be off the subject a bit, but I noticed that some of the pictures presented show a man wearing a Klappvisier holding a Great Helm. I know they wore the caps with Aventails, but did they also wear Klappvisier under great helms? I tried looking it up but nothing really on the subject.

Sir Edward:

Not that I recall. If you have an image in mind, I'd love to see it. Some of the early bascinets were worn under great helms, but these didn't need visors, because of the great helm.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-11-26, 14:11:09 ---
Not that I recall. If you have an image in mind, I'd love to see it. Some of the early bascinets were worn under great helms, but these didn't need visors, because of the great helm.

--- End quote ---
These and some others I have seen. On Wikipedia it said they wore klappvisier(klappvisor) under great helms.

Ian:
During most of the time that the great helm was worn over a bascinet, it was typically of the visorless variety.  I suppose you could put a great helm on over a visored bascinet, but chances are you'd remove the visor to wear both helms.  Klappvisor just refers to the way the visor was attached (in this case a single hinge above the center of the visor on the skull's forehead).  You can have a flat shovel-face visor like you've linked or a houndskull visor on a klappvisor attachment. 

All that really matters if you want to wear a great helm over the bascinet is the shape of the bascinet's skull so that the great helm will fit since the visor would be removed anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version