Main > The Armoury

How Do I Make My Knightly Tunic/Surcoat

(1/8) > >>

Aiden of Oreland:
I have made a surcoat. But that was out of scratch and I didn't follow any guide lines. I just, well, made it. I suppose many of you have crafted their own surcoats and tunics. How do I make one? A surcoat? What kind of stitching, how wide should I make it? How long? What parts of my body do I measure? Pretty much a step by step instructions. I tried searching and looking it up but I could never find anything on the matter. Could you help me? Oh and how to make like a flag or pennant would be cool too. Ones that could be displayed out side or at a SCA event.

Sir Douglas:
There's a .pdf file here that might help you out. I haven't tried the instructions yet (though I plan to...eventually), but they seem pretty thorough.

Ian:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-11-20, 21:16:26 ---There's a .pdf file here that might help you out. I haven't tried the instructions yet (though I plan to...eventually), but they seem pretty thorough.

--- End quote ---

Yes, you can't beat anything Tasha Kelly (the person behind La Cotte Simple) puts out.  She's the person who developed the pattern for my arming doublet as well.  She does some of the best medieval garment reproduction there is.

Aiden of Oreland:
Wow! This is actually amazing. Plus Im a visual learner so this is just perfect! Im also excited because I am slowely about to come up with a heraldic design. A green secondary on a white/silver surface. A ranpant stag holding a shield under his fore arms. Maybe place beach leaves in there. Though, my surcoat is likely to be a quartered design with a head of an elk/stag/buck on one sqaure and two chevrons on the other. But the question is, what should the background behind the stag head be? And what should the background and chevrons be?

Sir Brian:
Have you decided then upon a specific period for your harness? – I ask because whichever period you have chosen would also help determine the style of surcoat you are making. Surcoats were of the long variety up until the early 14th century when the front part became shorter, around mid-thigh and the back remained long although not as long has the previous centuries. By the battle of Crecy both the front and back were shorter and eventually were the length as Sir Ian’s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version