Main > The Armoury

Some notes on terminology

<< < (3/3)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-11-19, 22:23:32 ---I think you misunderstood.  He's suggesting that the etymology of the word 'spaudler' comes from the term espaullier.   He just makes an assertion with zero evidence.  It could just as easily be the root of the word 'spaulder'.  That's all Doug and I were saying.  There's no logical train of thought in the reasoning presented.  We're not talking about the progression of actual armor pieces, merely the words themselves.

But really, my overall point is that trying to decipher the word spaulder vs spaudler is in and of itself a wholly absurd endeavor because we know the original terms are even more imprecise.

--- End quote ---

Ah, yes, I misunderstood on that.

The spaulder vs spaudler wasn't something I was pursuing, someone else is, but I found it an interesting conversation to follow.

I believe "knight" should be "k nig ht", based on audio evidence of the french knight recorded during a quest for the holy grail. ;)

Ian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-11-19, 23:22:50 ---I believe "knight" should be "k nig ht", based on audio evidence of the french knight recorded during a quest for the holy grail. ;)

--- End quote ---

Funny enough that's pretty darn close to the real Middle English pronunciation of the word! :)

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-11-19, 22:32:26 ---
Check out this pronunciation guide:  http://webpages.marshall.edu/~will2/chaucer.html

--- End quote ---

Nice! I find the English language to be a fascinating study. Though, I'm no expert on it by any stretch of the imagination. I just think it's neat.
Heck, even modern English can't agree with itself. American English center vs British English centre, for instance.

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-11-19, 23:12:45 ---now turtles... is it tur-tles or tu-ur-tle-s?

--- End quote ---

I believe the correct pronunciation is "turt-lees". ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version