Main > The Library

Ridley Scott's "Robin Hood"

<< < (7/13) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-12-03, 20:10:25 ---That's right, kilts didn't appear until a few centuries later. William Wallace actually would have looked more like a knight of the period. I've attached an image of a statue of him that is in Edinburgh Castle:

--- End quote ---

Yes, the English and Scots would have looked relatively the same on the battlefield from what I understand.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-12-03, 21:05:06 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-12-03, 20:10:25 ---That's right, kilts didn't appear until a few centuries later. William Wallace actually would have looked more like a knight of the period. I've attached an image of a statue of him that is in Edinburgh Castle:

--- End quote ---

Yes, the English and Scots would have looked relatively the same on the battlefield from what I understand.

--- End quote ---

Well even though they didn't wear kilt, William Wallace had the wrong pattern on his kilt. As some of you may know, like we have family heraldic crests, the clans of Scotland had kilt patterns. I actually have a book on that. Also having the same equipment is debatable. They were just farmers and peasants. I mean maybe they took gear from The British.

Ian:
That's just it.  A lot of them weren't farmers and peasants.  William Wallace was a noble, not a highland peasant like in the movie.  Also, the standardizing of tartan clan patterns wasn't a development until the 18th century or somewhere thereabouts.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-12-03, 23:39:49 ---That's just it.  A lot of them weren't farmers and peasants.  William Wallace was a noble, not a highland peasant like in the movie.  Also, the standardizing of tartan clan patterns wasn't a development until the 18th century or somewhere thereabouts.

--- End quote ---

Hm... Fascinating. *pulls out a pipe* I did not know that. *puffs out smoke* This is why we have these conversations. I'll look up when tartens developed certain patterns. And also, lets just appreciate how fun the movie is to watch and the sound track of it.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-12-03, 23:39:49 ---That's just it.  A lot of them weren't farmers and peasants.  William Wallace was a noble, not a highland peasant like in the movie.  Also, the standardizing of tartan clan patterns wasn't a development until the 18th century or somewhere thereabouts.

--- End quote ---

Yep. Common misconception, just like "family heraldry". No such thing as "standard/common clan tartan".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version