Main > The Library

Ridley Scott's "Robin Hood"

<< < (6/13) > >>

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-12-03, 05:20:04 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2013-12-03, 04:06:40 ---Question is, why is he called Longshanks may I ask? I might have to look that up.

--- End quote ---

Because he was tall. "Shanks" refer to legs. I also hear he was always picked first to play for the Kingdom of England's basketball team. ;)

--- End quote ---

He shanked people. (the act of pulling down ones pants)
It's a pagan thing.
Englands basketball team quickly conquered the celtics

Sir Nate:
I was reading a historians look on Kingdom of heaven.
http://www.richardwarrenfield.com/essay029.htm

Sir James A:
He is primarily called Robin Longstride (presumably for legs/stride as well). I haven't heard "Longshanks" aside from this version.

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-12-03, 18:16:45 ---He is primarily called Robin Longstride (presumably for legs/stride as well). I haven't heard "Longshanks" aside from this version.

--- End quote ---

He was talking about Edward I in that case. :)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: LionPride32 on 2013-12-03, 00:24:39 ---I was reading about the historical accuracy of "Braveheart and it states that the Scottish didn't wear kilts in that time period....Kinda funny as I can't picture the Scottish wearing anything but!!

--- End quote ---

That's right, kilts didn't appear until a few centuries later. William Wallace actually would have looked more like a knight of the period. I've attached an image of a statue of him that is in Edinburgh Castle:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version