Main > The Armoury

My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)

<< < (14/22) > >>

Don Jorge:
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/3099/2489/

Any thoughts on this effigy? It is expensive to replicate in spring steel but would be safer than splinted armor. I can't find any information on the subject of the effigy. His name seems german but it is found in france. Anyone have any ideas or experience with the effigy and his armor? It seems really advanced for 1361...everything is articulated and particularly interesting is his chest armor...is that a brigandine? or a corrazina?

Ian:

--- Quote from: Belemrys on 2014-01-03, 19:47:58 ---His name seems german but it is found in france. Anyone have any ideas or experience with the effigy and his armor? It seems really advanced for 1361...everything is articulated etc...

--- End quote ---

Well that's because it's in Alsace.  Alsace was part of the Holy Roman Empire until it was annexed by France in the 17th century ;-)

The leg harness is pretty standard for 1360's.  For whatever reason the leg harness evolved faster than the arm harness, which wasn't commonly fully articulated until about a decade or two later depending on where you are.  Armor tended to be slower to catch on in Germany, but even in the 1360's a fully articulated leg harness can be seen on roughly 50% of surviving German effigies.  Comparable arm harnesses would be much more rare in the 1360's, so his articulated arms are pretty cutting edge for his time.

Don Jorge:
Any idea on the chest armor Ian? Looks like a Brigandine...

Sir Wolf:
remember the guys that could afford most of this were on horse. and where's the easiest thing to hit  on a horseman by a foot solider? his legs. i reckon the upper arms weren't developed due to the "downward swing?" of the horseman? maybe dunno.

i dont think its a brig. brigs aren't developed until really the 1450s i think.
it almost looks like a padded jupon or quilted gambeson

Don Jorge:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-01-03, 20:31:39 ---remember the guys that could afford most of this were on horse. and where's the easiest thing to hit  on a horseman by a foot solider? his legs. i reckon the upper arms weren't developed due to the "downward swing?" of the horseman? maybe dunno.

i dont think its a brig. brigs aren't developed until really the 1450s i think.
it almost looks like a padded jupon or quilted gambeson

--- End quote ---

So he would have been wearing a Corazzina or CoP underneath as there isnt a larger shape under the jupon/gambeson?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version