Main > The Armoury

My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)

<< < (2/22) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-11-15, 23:39:52 ---The primary goal for DoK is to keep out fairies, dragons, dwarves, sci fi, etc.

--- End quote ---

For the sake of full disclosure, this isn't exactly true.  While it is of course a goal of DoK to keep out the fantasy stuff, the standards are a lot higher than the implication in that sentence.  But to answer your question, you could certainly forego a maille haubergeon at something like DoK, but it should certainly be explained that normally one would be worn and you are omitting it.  Here are the published standards for DoK (these are probably more stringent than the reality of the event though) http://daysofknightsfrankfort.com/html/standards.html

The truth of the matter is that SCA kits will generally not pass muster at a Living History event because of the compromises made to the kits for the sport's safety regulations, and a lot of living history kits will conversely not pass muster for the SCA because they're either missing safety requirements or are made from steel that is too light of a gauge etc.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-11-15, 23:51:59 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-11-15, 23:39:52 ---The primary goal for DoK is to keep out fairies, dragons, dwarves, sci fi, etc.

--- End quote ---

For the sake of full disclosure, this isn't exactly true.  While it is of course a goal of DoK to keep out the fantasy stuff, the standards are a lot higher than the implication in that sentence.

--- End quote ---

Probably a better way to state it is that was one of the original goals, and the standards have been creeping up ever since. :)

Don Jorge:
Thank you so much for all the responses! So Matt and I were speaking last night about the helmet and as a general consensus we decided on a bascinet and he suggested a shovel visor for the time period I am looking at...I love the look on it and while more expensive than the great helm, I think it might be worth it...

Also I was thinking about articulated arms vs riveted arms...it saves me 40 bucks...the other option was for shoulder armor like the one in my first pic, a simple teardrop or spade spaulder instead of like in Stapleton's effigy the 3 plate spaulders. The spade spaulder like in would save me 50 bucks and would work better with the full splinted leather set.

Any opinions on this bascinet with the shovel visor vs great helm and splinted leather arms w/simple spade spaulder vs plate arms with 3 plate spaulders?

Thanks,
Jorge

Ian:
The very narrow shovel face like the one you linked is from what I know specifically an Italian style.  I think it's a pretty cool looking helmet.  The Germanic shovel face is more like this:

(sca,bascinet)

It's just a wider visor, but similar style.  Either helmet is appropriate for the time period, they just vary in locale is all.  Personally, I think a bascinet is a more practical helmet than a great helm.  You can pop the visor off and see and breathe, which is nice, and it's more closely fitted. :)

I see nothing wrong with doing a simple spaulder for the shoulder to pair with a splinted arm harness.  That kit in the photo you linked is a very nice kit, if you can duplicate a similar style I think you'll be very happy with the results.  FWIW, I don't see any historical problems with that kit.

Thorsteinn:
Clang Armoury's got some great stuff too, and I would definitely hit up the Armour Archive because the CotT is a huge thing over there so lots of good folks to help there.

-SCA fighter for 13 years.
Cynaguan Guardsman.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version