Main > The Armoury

14th century hourlgass gauntlets

(1/4) > >>

Sir Edward:

My new gaunts just arrived!  I commissioned these from Andrey Galevskiy (Ukraine). I sent him my measurements, and ordered them in Stainless, because I really hate cleaning rust off of gauntlets, with all their little bits and pieces.

It's slightly a mixed bag. I won't want to use these for Blossfechten (unarmored combat), because the thumb is actually pretty immobile. Also, there's a large gap that opens up between the glove and the finger portions of the steel (as shown below). The secondary knuckle plate moves really nicely though.

However, for Harnessfechten I think they'll be fine. That's mostly either pole weapons or half-swording anyway, so the finger mobility isn't as much of a concern. This all works works out OK since I ordered these primarily for fleshing out the 14th century kit a bit more anyway.

The gloves appear to be a linen canvas sort of material. The thumb is a little confining length-wise, but in making a fist it's not too bad.

I think part of the problem with the gap opening is that the gauntlet is just sitting too far forward, because of the thumb length, and some of the side stitching. At some point I may want to redo the stitching and reposition the thumb a little, and that might solve some of it. The stitching looks easy. The thumb would entail taking out a couple of rivets on each, and replacing them.

(photos are clicky)

Ian:
They should be stitched a lot further down.  You could easily fix that with some linen thread.  That will eliminate that gap for you.  If you don't mind the labor, I would replace the gloves entirely with a nice deerskin pair for both durability and comfort.  Those gloves look like they might be a little restrictive.  I think the thumb mobility issues are because of that extra piece of leather between the plates.

Here's a shot of the stitching on mine, if you duplicate this it will get rid of that gap.

Sir Edward:

Yeah, I may just need to find some time to sit in front of the TV and do a lot of stitching. I'll have to look around for some good gloves to use.

Sir James A:
Steel is the hardest part of the gauntlet, especially in stainless. You've got that part, so, that's good news. I think a new glove is a good idea too.

Sir Wolf:
awesomeeeeeeeeee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version