"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: Living History Stuff  (Read 35131 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Living History Stuff
« Reply #45 on: 2014-01-16, 04:47:43 »
I seem to recall you not realizing it was actually Sir James in his armor, despite him posting multiple pics of himself.  ;)

Or was that Aiden?

No hard feelings sir William, Aiden hadn't realized thorsteinn's video starring thorstein was thorstein.
As for not knowing that was sir James pic, I was simply making joke that it wasn't sir James, but a fraud pic. I knew it was him. (The sorrows of a fool(as in jester))
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #46 on: 2014-01-16, 16:20:29 »
Yep, it was Thorsteinn. I haven't met Nate or Aiden, so they wouldn't recognize me in pics either. I could just be grabbing random pics off some dude's photobucket.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #47 on: 2014-01-16, 16:25:47 »

I Must admit I`m quite partial to a bit of posh kit myself  ;)
 http://modernchivalry.org/knightdata/44/photo1328827290-0006-huge.jpg

G.

Dang it, that looks so good, that I'm now commissioning something similar from Fuhlen Designs. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #48 on: 2014-01-16, 17:48:40 »
lol. i gots the patterns for that stuff ehhehe

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #49 on: 2014-01-16, 18:27:15 »
Before Sir Nate asks, that is Sir Gerard.  ;)

Lookin good, Brother!

Ha ha, why thank you sir.

Y'know, as much as I love armor from the 15th century, I don't think I could do the everyday clothing. Poofy doublet shoulders and codpieces aren't really my thing. I'll stick with big, loose tunics, thankyouverymuch. ;)

G.

That looks sharp! And I'm not talking about the sword. ;)

Douglas, I had to double check that I hadn`t fallen out of my cod piece then  :o

G.

Dang it, that looks so good, that I'm now commissioning something similar from Fuhlen Designs. :)

Sir Ed, I have not heard of them, are they based over in the U.S.? I will check them out right now..  ;)

G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #50 on: 2014-01-16, 19:23:27 »
HAHAHAHAHAAH snort.. codpiece reference hahahah

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #51 on: 2014-01-16, 19:56:56 »
Sir Ed, I have not heard of them, are they based over in the U.S.? I will check them out right now..  ;)

G.

Indeed so, that's the business name that Jessica Finley uses, and she is located about 25 minutes from me.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #52 on: 2014-01-16, 23:48:36 »
Yep, it was Thorsteinn. I haven't met Nate or Aiden, so they wouldn't recognize me in pics either. I could just be grabbing random pics off some dude's photobucket.

I knew it was you. I had made joke.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #53 on: 2014-01-16, 23:49:12 »
What is a cod piece exactly?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #54 on: 2014-01-17, 01:40:54 »

Let's just say that it protects the family jewels. ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #55 on: 2014-01-17, 02:19:55 »

Let's just say that it protects the family jewels. ;)

Ah Ok, I do remember seeing a picture of Henry the 8ths armor and There was a, David bowie from labyrinth bulge. Smith must had to use a whole ingot. Lmao
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #56 on: 2014-01-18, 01:02:12 »

Ah Ok, I do remember seeing a picture of Henry the 8ths armor and There was a, David bowie from labyrinth bulge. Smith must had to use a whole ingot. Lmao

It's funny how many times I've heard a codpiece being described as "What David Bowie wore in Labyrinth". Apparently, that's a common explanation.

Regarding Living History and DoK in particular, what's the level of participation required at such events? My mom is showing some interest in participating, but I've having a hard time explaining to her that it's not like a RenFest. I think she has the idea that she's just going to dress up, walk around, and wave at people, but I was under the impression that there's more patron-to-reenactor interaction/education than what you'd get from just dressing up at a RenFest. And that you're still in "History Mode" even after all the patrons have gone...basically living like a medieval person for a few days. I mean, she's not lacking in the medieval history department or anything, I just think she has the wrong impression of what Living History is about. (I have managed to explain to her the importance of historically-accurate fabrics, however.)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #57 on: 2014-01-18, 01:26:40 »
Regarding Living History and DoK in particular, what's the level of participation required at such events? My mom is showing some interest in participating, but I've having a hard time explaining to her that it's not like a RenFest. I think she has the idea that she's just going to dress up, walk around, and wave at people, but I was under the impression that there's more patron-to-reenactor interaction/education than what you'd get from just dressing up at a RenFest. And that you're still in "History Mode" even after all the patrons have gone...basically living like a medieval person for a few days. I mean, she's not lacking in the medieval history department or anything, I just think she has the wrong impression of what Living History is about. (I have managed to explain to her the importance of historically-accurate fabrics, however.)

Yeah, it can be hard to explain to people who aren't familiar with it already. Basically the event is open to the public during "business" hours, during which time you need to be authentic as possible, and highly interactive with visitors in an educational role.

After hours, it's a little more relaxed, but people still want to "enjoy the magic" and stay as historical as possible, but conversations will naturally drift to a wide range of modern topics. So it's not like you're "staying in character" after hours, and no one got mad at us for using flashlights in and around our tents (briefly). ;)  But people will get mad if they're having a "magic moment" and you ruin it. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #58 on: 2014-01-18, 01:51:57 »
Yeah, I've never done it myself and I'm trying to explain it to her. It's not exactly the smoothest operation. ;) I hate feeling like such a noob, but I guess you can't get experience without being a noob first....
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #59 on: 2014-01-18, 02:09:34 »
ok figure this.
your at an event. you are trying to look/feel/smell as period as you can. your group is based on 1 fixed point in time. you can only have armour, weapons, clothing from that time frame and place or that could have been imported to you. you must have a job/station to explain why you are there. your group has certain codes, standards, rules as far as who you can be and what you have to wear. to bring something new into the group you have to have say 3 sources for that 1 point in time in that one part of one country. it can get really over tedious sometimes.

i have done everything from greek to ww2 and everything in between.  nothing beats sleeping out under the stars, or eating a hot breakfast cooked over a fire. the feeling of being worn out after just one day and a night and thinking.. WOW how did they do it for a lifetime?

i have to say i love the age of black powder now the most. we have pants hahaha. sleeping in a fox hole or in a trench. the smell of powder and gas in your nose. freezing or sweating to death in wools... I'm a loon i think sometimes.