Main > The Armoury

Only the best will do, especially chainmail.

<< < (6/7) > >>

Don Jorge:
150? Is it butted mail? The one I was looking at was like 420 bucks :/

Sir James A:
150 is definitely butted

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Vander Linde on 2013-11-13, 21:52:43 ---Buddy of mine is working on an 8-in-1 flat ring riveted mail shirt.  so far it is epic, but since he only has a 12inch X 12 inch piece or so, so far and has been working on it for a while, I'm not sure if it is worth it or not. we haven't tested it extensively, but man is it nice.

--- End quote ---

That would be interesting to see; I've seen one representation of "king's maille" that looked to be a double weave (like 8-in-2 or some such) but 8-in-1 I should like to see.  8 rings to 1...what sort of ring sizes is he working with?  Is he using a combo of washers and riveted or butted?

Sir James A:
Sir William, I've seen the 8 in 2 "king's maille" style. It's essentially 4 in 1 style, but using two rings in every spot instead of one. It seems horribly unfit to me, as a hauberk that is 25 pounds normally would be 50 pounds (since you're doubling rings). Better protection at the cost of weight; and quite the cost of weight, I'd say.

I've seen 6 in 1 styles on samurai mail.

However, 8 in 1 is a new one to me. I'm guessing central ring with + and X from it, but I'm thinking it won't lay right... quite curious now.

Sir Vander Linde:
they are all riveted rings, rings are made from 14g mild-steel wire, not sure on the dynamiter as he has a different coiling device than me. I'll send him a message on Facebook and he will get back to me in a few days when he gets back from his hunting trip.

I actually really wanted to shoot the piece he had this weekend with a war bow to see what would happen. the weave is so tight I think it might stop it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version