Main > The Great Hall

New to this World...

<< < (7/10) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: Belemrys on 2013-11-07, 20:03:04 ---I wonder if that Gambeson is even historically accurate for late 14th century...

--- End quote ---

From what we know about late 14th century arming garments, the short answer is absolutely not.  Late 14th century arming garments are generally done in the style of the Charles de Blois pourpoint (a surviving garment of the appropriate era).  The gambeson photo you linked would work fine as a foundation for a maille hauberk, but would fail as an anchor point for plate harness.

To function properly an arming doublet worn under plate armor must girdle the hips and waist in a way to support the full weight of a leg harness without transferring that weight to the shoulders.  It's critical for proper fit, function and comfort.

If you really want to know about proper arming doublets of the late 14th century I recommend reading my thread on myArmoury about he Charles de Blois reproduction I did.  Particularly the first thread, and my response later in the thread to a gentlemen named Julian to whom I respond to about proper fit:

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=28169&highlight=charles++blois

This is my arming doublet and harness and without that garment, none of this would work properly:

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-11-07, 20:50:34 ---As far as adding mail to the plate harness, something to keep in mind here also is how that changed over the centuries. In the 14th century, the plate armor was worn over a haubergeon. However, in the 15th and 16th, they reduced weight by putting the mail only inside the gaps of the plate armor, instead of wearing a haubergeon and then covering it with plates. This often was comprised of "voiders", which are sections of mail that cover the armpit and often inside the elbow as well, "standards" which are essentially mail gorgets to protect the neck, and mail faulds that are basicaly short skirts to protect the groin and upper thigh area.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps I should finish up my voiders and post an appropriate picture of standard, voiders and fauld in the near future...

Sir Martyn:
Welcome, Jorge!  I can tell you that even with LARP groups, some of them are picky and won't give you credit for what only "looks" real.  The big German LARPS have a nice compromise system with reduced protection for "decorative" armor made from fiberglass, latex, etc.  Like you, I've also tried to put together kit that can span different activities. 

Ian - very nice arming wear - will take a closer at look your article.

Don Jorge:
Hello Gareyth, what was your solution? Multiple kits I bet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Nate:
Welcome to Modernchivalry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version