Main > The Armoury

Where to begin? New Kit in the working..

<< < (3/9) > >>

Sir Wolf:
what you need is a library day at Sir Edwards.

I think he has all (if not I do) the Osprey Men at Arms, Warrior, etc small books to look at for ideas. I like this books cause of the larger pictures and are a great jumping off point for your research.

Sir Jason Simonds:
I was actually thinking of going to the book store today to look and see if they have any good reference material to look at. I will keep that series in mind when I go.

Ian:
If you really want to 'gnat's ass' a great helm of that style for accuracy, skip the brass ocular, and the shaping is off and that particular one you linked.  The brass ocular is a modern invention to mimic the gilded oculars seen in contemporary artwork, which was really paint or gold leafing in period.

That particular style of great helm is generally inspired by the surviving 'Dargen Helm' dated to the second half of the 13th century.

Here's the original:

Here's a very good reproduction:
http://royaloakarmoury.com/medieval_armour_gallery.php?iden=1

Here's a slightly later period great helm of the sugarloaf style (think ca. 1300) that uses real brass leaf over steel instead of cheating with a brass ocular.

Both of those reproductions are by Jeffrey Hildebrandt, who coincidentally did Sir Ulrich's Dargen Helm reproduction with a beautiful aging effect on it, and he will tell you, he wasted a lot of money on lesser helms, and you will end up disappointed and replacing it later anyway if historical accuracy is important to you.  With armor it's worth investing in what you really want.

Ian:
You also want to spend a lot of time looking at actual effigies to get an idea of what was really being worn together:

http://effigiesandbrasses.com/

Use the search function on that site to look at small snippets of time and locations to get an accurate visual on what knight's would be wearing.

Sir Edward:
Yep, my style of great-helm (that I usually take to the renfaire) is really a 1270-1300 style. For use with plate armor, getting into the early-mid 1300's (14th century), it should be one of the dome-topped great helms, such as a "Pembridge" great helm.

For reference, look at the one I'm carrying here:  (click to zoom)  (I'm planning to use this one more, once I get a crest together for it)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version