Main > The Armoury

Tailoring maille chausses

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Brian:
Here is the kind of maille sabatons I acquired a couple of years ago.

The design is pretty simple. I intend to convert mine from butted to riveted maille this winter. I have plenty of leather strapping around and the loose rivets to make them and intend to reuse the excess pieces of riveted maille I saved from tailoring my haubergeon. The biggest issue with them is designing a historically plausible and efficient method of keeping the maille in position. I resolved that by attaching a ring and anchor point on the bottom of the boot soles but that is hardly period and will likely just use leather lacing after the conversion to riveted.

Sir Ulrich:
Currently working on sealing up the back of my chausses with riveted rings, riveting each ring is a pain though with wedge riveting, hopefully I will get the hang of it sooner or later, my main issue is the feet though, if you figure out a good solution to keeping the feet on the chausses attached to the boot I would like that. Need pics of a solution so I can actually figure it out.

Sir James A:
If you are going to attach the mail directly to the boots, I suggest stitching instead of riveting. Thin leather like shoes won't hold rivets well, and you don't want rivets on the inside of your shoes either.

I considered the "mail with integrated shoe" thing, but trying to get chausses on and then tie the shoes with the chausses already on was nearly impossible (or at best, excessively frustrating), just from testing by tying it to the shoes before doing anything permanent.

Sir Edward:

Yes, using laces to tie it to the shoe instead of riveting it on is the way to go. It's more historical, easier to do, and won't give you as much trouble.

Sir Ulrich:
Guess I should stitch some tabs to my shoes and lace the chausses to those tabs, I actually just realized I wrote rivet and I guess I was sleep deprived after writing that, no I dont wanna rivet them to it cause if they rust I cant clean them. Still dunno how to sew leather, maybe I should ask viking leathercrafts to make a pair of shoes that would work with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version