Main > The Armoury

Tailoring maille chausses

<< < (3/3)

Sir Douglas:
Is there a specific aspect of sewing the leather that you're unsure about or just sewing it in general?

A stitching awl or small leather punch would help you punch holes in the leather for stitching; they also make needles specifically designed for leather. I picked up this little awl/needle tool at Hobby Lobby recently. It works like a regular awl, but it has a spool of thread in the handle so you can sew as you punch. Kind of nifty.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-10-23, 02:12:01 ---Is there a specific aspect of sewing the leather that you're unsure about or just sewing it in general?

A stitching awl or small leather punch would help you punch holes in the leather for stitching; they also make needles specifically designed for leather. I picked up this little awl/needle tool at Hobby Lobby recently. It works like a regular awl, but it has a spool of thread in the handle so you can sew as you punch. Kind of nifty.
--- End quote ---

I started using mine last night for making a sheath for my sharpened spear head. It works really great! Fast and convenient. If you do decide to use a leather needle and nylon thread then use a small pair of pliers to help push the needle through the leather. - Says the man who spent over a week stitching his WMA gauntlets.  ;)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2013-10-23, 07:50:56 ---I started using mine last night for making a sheath for my sharpened spear head. It works really great! Fast and convenient. If you do decide to use a leather needle and nylon thread then use a small pair of pliers to help push the needle through the leather. - Says the man who spent over a week stitching his WMA gauntlets.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Pliers are a must! I found that out when re-attaching the buckle strap on one of my shoes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version