Main > The Courtyard

Defense against maces....

(1/2) > >>

Silvanus:
In the course of my training career, the weapon I have the most trouble defending against are maces. Over the years I have been whacked over the kidneys, the groin, both shins, and - just this past week - the side of my head.

I usually fight without a shield, as I normally train with a hand and a half rebated Badger or a two hand. I can defend against other swords, but maces....

How have you all defended successfully against a mace?

Sir Nate:
well from a no proffesional stand point. I think maybe hitting the arm there using to swing the mace while there swinging it at you.
redirect it?
idk.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Silvanus on 2013-10-11, 12:44:10 ---In the course of my training career, the weapon I have the most trouble defending against are maces. Over the years I have been whacked over the kidneys, the groin, both shins, and - just this past week - the side of my head.

I usually fight without a shield, as I normally train with a hand and a half rebated Badger or a two hand. I can defend against other swords, but maces....

How have you all defended successfully against a mace?
--- End quote ---

Assuming that the one with the mace also has a shield/buckler, then only comparison I have to bring into this discussion is a longsword vs. a sword & buckler which can be quite a challenge since you must attack and defend with your blade and yet have a distinct range advantage. Thus I would suggest maintaining that advantage for as long as you can and avoid going into any binding actions.

Lord Chagatai:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2013-10-11, 19:01:45 ---well from a no proffesional stand point. I think maybe hitting the arm there using to swing the mace while there swinging it at you.
redirect it?
idk.

--- End quote ---

From someone who has battled maces in the past (SCA fighting) redirecting and then striking is the way to go....I usually would strike the arm that is swinging and then go in for the kill shot. Just 2 cents from an SCA fighter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lord Dane:
From a philosophy standpoint....
Miyagi say ...."No be there, no get hit."

From a training instructor & fighter standpoint....
Best way to match a single-handed blunt instrument defensively is with a defensive instrument designed for it. Round shields in conjunction with any other single-handed instrument particularly axes, maces, flails, etc. work well together so long as you coordinate your skill and attack. Learn to interchange your left and right hands to work together skillfully & fluently.

Best part about shields is that make great offensive weapons as much as defensive tools. Use them to strike back in close quarters & trap your opponents by confining their movements that interlock them or create closed-space combat situations. Give them no movement & kill them or don't be there for the strike. Only options. The Spartans or Greek Hoplites did this battle skill-set best I think. Romans & Vikings followed in their footsteps ...

Hope this helps Silvanus. I use round shields typically 24-36 inches made of steel. Good defensive coverage with a solid striking surface. Proper positioning matters. Smother your oppenent in close quarters. Give them nothing to throw or room to move. Hit him hard. I'll show you some disarming techniques at MDRF. Distance is an advantage with a reach weapon like longsword offensively or for retreating defensively only. Fight on equal footing is my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version