"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Heraldic Design  (Read 57675 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Heroldic Disign
« Reply #30 on: 2013-12-21, 19:04:50 »
For our purposes, there's no rule against having more than one set of arms for more than one "persona". :)

Allow me to stress this part. :D

I have personal arms, and Templar arms. You can add a third or fourth if you want, too. You could have arms for a 13th century impression, and arms for a 15th century impression. Or two alternate sets of heraldry for 14th century.

I'm working on acquiring a blackened set of armor. Since my arms are white on black, worn with regular silver steel armor, what I may do is make an inverted surcoat - black over white field - to wear with the black armor. Sort of an evil twin, alter-ego kind of thing.

You're only restricted on arms if you want to pick a "persona" for SCA. And nobody says that has to match in anything else you do (renn fest, etc). So you can have your "SCA" arms and your "Renn Fest" arms.

Diversity is the spice of medieval life! :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #31 on: 2013-12-21, 21:23:18 »
For our purposes, there's no rule against having more than one set of arms for more than one "persona". :)

Allow me to stress this part. :D

I have personal arms, and Templar arms. You can add a third or fourth if you want, too. You could have arms for a 13th century impression, and arms for a 15th century impression. Or two alternate sets of heraldry for 14th century.

I'm working on acquiring a blackened set of armor. Since my arms are white on black, worn with regular silver steel armor, what I may do is make an inverted surcoat - black over white field - to wear with the black armor. Sort of an evil twin, alter-ego kind of thing.

You're only restricted on arms if you want to pick a "persona" for SCA. And nobody says that has to match in anything else you do (renn fest, etc). So you can have your "SCA" arms and your "Renn Fest" arms.

Diversity is the spice of medieval life! :D

Well then there you have it! This shall be my common heraldry I suppose. Like I said before, when I join my SCA family I'll quarter it lol. I think I'll play around with it a bit more, and show the results in about another month or 2.

Scratch that, here is what I shall use till I decide to change it. What do you think!! ;D did I say a month or two, I just came up with the idea. ok, that is all.

« Last Edit: 2013-12-23, 01:53:49 by Sir Aiden »
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #32 on: 2013-12-23, 13:40:36 »
It looks good Aiden. It would fit the SCA heraldry requirements and rules (by design).

I was looking at your other selections too. I thought the 'black stag rampant with the crown Or (gold)' and brown antlers was distinctive. Also, it does not show 'as clear' with the chevron in the background. It has some nice detail and should be visible to the eyes. I would shrink the stag to the shield proportionally and bring it to the base of the shield under the chevron. This way you see the detail of both in full. Just my two cents.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2013-12-23, 15:37:09 »
Now can you say it Heraldically?

Don't feel bad if you can't. I've only had mine 26 years and still can't get it all straight most days. (see sig below)  ;)
« Last Edit: 2013-12-23, 15:44:45 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #34 on: 2013-12-23, 19:38:26 »
It looks good Aiden. It would fit the SCA heraldry requirements and rules (by design).

I was looking at your other selections too. I thought the 'black stag rampant with the crown Or (gold)' and brown antlers was distinctive. Also, it does not show 'as clear' with the chevron in the background. It has some nice detail and should be visible to the eyes. I would shrink the stag to the shield proportionally and bring it to the base of the shield under the chevron. This way you see the detail of both in full. Just my two cents.

Yes I see what you mean, i would use the black hart if it wasn't the game if thrones one 😝 but all i did was take that hart and make it colored into the one you just saw. Again like I said, this is primarily what it will look like, in the future there will be variations. By summer or midsummers eve It will be official. I hope. But I will experiment with your suggestions Lord Dane.

Now can you say it Heraldically?

Don't feel bad if you can't. I've only had mine 26 years and still can't get it all straight most days. (see sig below)  ;)

Wait, wait... I got this hmm... Here we go : "A rampant hart, lying in front of two pointed chevrons, under a chief baring three formee crosses" i just winged it. Lol

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #35 on: 2013-12-23, 20:37:09 »
I quite like it! :D And I like the surcoat you came up with to go with it, too.

Now let's see if I can get this without looking up anything:

"Argent, over two chevrons vert, a rampant hart proper [not sure how the location of the crown Or would be blazoned], on a chief vert, three crosses pattée [or formée], argent."

Or...something like that....  :-\
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #36 on: 2013-12-23, 21:46:42 »
I quite like it! :D And I like the surcoat you came up with to go with it, too.

Now let's see if I can get this without looking up anything:

"Argent, over two chevrons vert, a rampant hart proper [not sure how the location of the crown Or would be blazoned], on a chief vert, three crosses pattée [or formée], argent."

Or...something like that....  :-\

Sounds legit, here are the meanings behind everything(incase you don't know:
•Hart: one who will not fight unless provoked; peace and harmony.
•Crown(on hart): Defender of a fortress, token of civic honour; one who first mounted the breach in the walls of a fortress
•Formée Cross: Military honour(I use this because I am german and reminds me of german iron cross)
•Chevron: Protection; Builders or others who have accomplished some work of faithful service
•Chief: Top one-third of the shield; signifies dominion and authority; often granted as a special reward for prudence and wisdom or successful command in war
•Green: Hope, joy, and loyalty in love
•White: Peace and sincerity

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #37 on: 2014-03-02, 02:50:55 »
This is an update on my heraldic design. I know I said that would be official for now, I should have stressed that it was still be edited. Any how, this is another look at one of my ideas. Ignore the poor quality of the surcoat.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #38 on: 2014-03-02, 08:11:28 »
I like it. Nice job.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #39 on: 2014-03-02, 12:14:18 »
cool

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #40 on: 2014-03-02, 14:29:45 »
I like this one a lot.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #41 on: 2014-03-03, 21:30:24 »

I like it too, and it doesn't violate any of the heraldry rules either. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
Re: Heraldic Disign
« Reply #42 on: 2014-03-03, 21:37:20 »
ugh the inkwell program is such a pain in my butt! I hate Java...I did when I was learning and I do now that I have to use it...

I might end up just using photoshop to make my heraldry design!

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #43 on: 2014-03-03, 21:40:15 »
I really like it, too!
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #44 on: 2014-03-03, 22:14:29 »
ugh the inkwell program is such a pain in my butt! I hate Java...I did when I was learning and I do now that I have to use it...

I might end up just using photoshop to make my heraldry design!

Ya I used paint for this. But to get the shield shape to be right i got it off a heraldry design site. Its the same as most of the coat of arms the men on this site have.

Yes I quite like it! I really want to use a stag but I want the other stuff too so it wont really work so I may drop the whole stag thing. I'm still debating on whether or not to keep the bordering chevrons or not. My biggest concern is how the surcotte will look. Im thinking of making the green chief on both sides so I can be more easily identified. Except the back won't have the formee crosses. I may add a secondary chevron like thing at the bottom. I will be sure to post another update later this month.