Main > The Armoury

Globose w/ Fauld

<< < (6/11) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-10-16, 22:55:14 ---Well dang, then I guess I shouldn't order sabs from the same place you got yours. :)

I don't mind cheating a little, as long as I know why/how it's cheating. But might as well aim for as accurate as possible once you know better.

--- End quote ---

Halberds does good work, and he's pretty much specialized into and known for his sabatons, but he caters to the SCA as far as I know, so I suspect that the research into construction is not as exacting as the guys who cater to very accurate historical reproduction.  My goal is to one day not have to explain why any piece of my armor may not be as accurate as we can get it in the modern day, so I'm really just being very nitpicky with the sabs.

Sir James A:
I'd say you could replace the leather with a hand made hinge, but that still doesn't take care of the ankle/heel area. That's one thing that I had a hard time getting satisfactory too. The "churburg" sabatons by GDFB are more or less hopeless at my skill level. The ones I got from Mad Matt were pretty good, though it's more coincidence that they happened to fit well with my HammerBreaker greaves. I ordered them unstrapped and unhinged so I could do it myself and trim off any extra in the back so the heel plate would sit close to the back of my foot. They make that nice "pocket" effect where the sabs sit right inside of the greaves, as you're describing.

Found a good pic of a view from the bottom and side too:

Lord Dane:
My God James, you mean your wife let you seat that oily plate on the living room couch?!? Must have left quite the stain.. Oh wait, that isn't oil, is it??? LOL

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-10-17, 15:35:55 ---My God James, you mean your wife let you seat that oily plate on the living room couch?!? Must have left quite the stain.. Oh wait, that isn't oil, is it??? LOL

--- End quote ---

Pfft, oil? Eh. I think my wife took that pic? Anyways, it was the riveted mail fauld that left a few holes in the cushions. Flipped 'em over, no big deal. Still less furniture damage than the cats cause. ;)

I didn't have any other decent shots of those sabs & greaves together, as I just got those greaves a year ago.

We're wandering a bit. Should we split this thread to sabatons / accuracy?

Ian:
James, for 16th century have you considered getting those big bear paw square-toed sabs for your kit?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version