Main > The Armoury

Globose w/ Fauld

<< < (5/11) > >>

Ian:
The method of construction and fastening of the heel on my sabs is ahistoric.  Instead of building a hinge, he just floated the heel/foot interface on a piece of leather.  Halberds also used modern (aluminum I think) grommets for the toe pointing holes, and the top opening is too large and not closely fitted to the ankle so they wind up outside the bottom of the greaves.  I didn't know enough about sab construction when I ordered them 3 years ago and so when I asked for historically accurate, I just didn't know any better and assumed it was good to go.  The general shaping is just a little off too.

They should have a metal hinge construction to attach the heel plate, and then a small leather strap to secure the other side, though some examples seem to use a small hook/clasp assembly on the side opposite the hinge.  The top of the sabaton must interface with the greaves and provide seamless coverage between the top of the sab and the bottom of the greave while not impeding movement.  The sab should be inside the greave, not the other way around.

They should look like this:

Sir Douglas:
That's interesting about the sabaton construction. I must make a mental note of that in case I ever get around to making something other than helms.

When you say a leather strap to secure the other side, would it be secured with a buckle?

Ian:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-10-16, 21:17:38 ---When you say a leather strap to secure the other side, would it be secured with a buckle?

--- End quote ---

Yes, you can see it here:

Sir Edward:
Well dang, then I guess I shouldn't order sabs from the same place you got yours. :)

I don't mind cheating a little, as long as I know why/how it's cheating. But might as well aim for as accurate as possible once you know better.

Sir Douglas:
Ah, okay. I see. Thank you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version