Main > The Armoury

Albion Reeve

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir Wolf:
killer

Lord Dane:
SWEEEETTTTTT!!!!

Sir Edward:
Don't worry about how sharp it is. Razor sharp edges get flattened easily, as Sir James was saying. It just needs to be mildly sharp to sail right through a person, a pumpkin, or a tatami mat, with proper technique. Paper-slicing edges will make cuts through tatami easier, but things like pumpkins and water bottles respond more to the mass of the blade, rather than how sharp it is.

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah I am considering getting crusader monk to do a scabbard for it but thing is I do want a historical looking suspension like this one:

To do that it needs to be soaked and stretched so I don't know if I could do it in multiple sittings... Might just do a wood core or maybe commission someone who does historical suspensions? I kinda want it to look a bit aged but match the swords handle color with red.
I rather like this blade, it's quite imposing and thick bladed yet surprisingly light. I actually think this is one of Albion's thicker bladed swords, it's basically a viking type sword with a 12th century hilt. I do plan to eventually cut with it, once I get a thing to stand targets on and whatnot. It would probably be a very good cutter once I use it. Just a bit worried it might not be period for the late 13th, maybe in Germany it would be fine, there are examples of brazil nut pommeled swords from the 13th century that are German. For my 14th century kit I plan to get the Sovereign and if Peter Johnnson does get it made that odd pommeled sword I discovered on Facebook. He actually said he might be interested in making it. Heres the link to it if you guys dont have me on Facebook http://www.fricker-historische-waffen.de/en/items-for-sale/edge-weapons/yag/c82/ItemList/submitFilter/blankwaffen/ritterliches-schwert-deutsch-um-1200-objekt-nr-1008

Sir William:
Just let Jon know what you need- if he can accomodate you, he will.  I've dealt with him on a number of occasions and truthfully, a lot of custom makers could learn a thing or two from his business model.  Also his cost will be less than half of what the higher end scabbard makers would charge.  He'll not do 100% historically accurate as he'd have to charge considerably more for that but if you want something that looks good, will be well made and a suitable complement to the sword, you can't go wrong with Crusader Monk.  Nice pick up, by the way- and I could be wrong, but I do not think the type X and Xa swords were supposed to be paper cutting sharp being primarily used against mailed or lightly armored targets of the 10th-12th centuries.

FWIW, I'm considering the Sovereign for my 14th C kit as well...it just speaks volumes to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version