"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: What would you have been in the medieval age?  (Read 46286 times)

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
  • Always strive to better yourself.
    • My facebook
Re: What would you have been in the medieval age?
« Reply #60 on: 2013-04-18, 14:51:49 »
If I had been born in the Medieval Period I would have been of nobility. My ancestor's held land in the Cadiz region for centuries. I would have been a warrior of course, but also Wine maker and ship builder.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 2013-04-18, 16:28:52 »
Tracing back ancestors to Charlemagne, Nobility, The 10th Earl of Umptysquatshire doesn't really mean much.  If you look at the branches of a family tree and how many splits occur between now and then, statistically, most everyone has some connection to someone who touched history.  I think people over-emphasize those connections and dismiss the other 100 that aren't as flashy.  I'm not trying to take away from your lineage, but understand that when you're 25 generations removed, so much else contributed to that family tree, that a single leaf from 750 years ago does not translate into anything substantive today. 

I guess this topic should really say 'What do you wish you would have been in the medieval age?' :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #62 on: 2013-04-18, 16:30:55 »
ooooooooh wish?

then i'd be a king. why? cause i aint got $#% all over me

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
  • Always strive to better yourself.
    • My facebook
« Reply #63 on: 2013-04-18, 16:42:25 »
Ian I see your point. However my bloodline runs back directly to nobility until the purge by Francisco Franco. My family was land owners and nobles before the foundation of Spain as a country. Not that it means anything anymore. as far as trades are concerned I would be very happy being a Bard. or perhaps a wine maker.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #64 on: 2013-04-18, 17:36:04 »
ooooooooh wish?

I'm with you. It's good to be the king. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #65 on: 2013-04-18, 17:52:56 »
Indeed  ;)
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #66 on: 2013-04-18, 18:18:55 »
Tracing back ancestors to Charlemagne, Nobility, The 10th Earl of Umptysquatshire doesn't really mean much.  If you look at the branches of a family tree and how many splits occur between now and then, statistically, most everyone has some connection to someone who touched history.  I think people over-emphasize those connections and dismiss the other 100 that aren't as flashy.  I'm not trying to take away from your lineage, but understand that when you're 25 generations removed, so much else contributed to that family tree, that a single leaf from 750 years ago does not translate into anything substantive today. 

I guess this topic should really say 'What do you wish you would have been in the medieval age?' :)

Agreed. We all know royals & nobles got their 'junk' into everyone's business then over the generations creating all kinds of bloodline relations & family ties of illegitimate means. To say you are related to someone of significance then who mostly has no importance today, is the same as saying you almost won the lottery. Doesn't get you anything or anywhere...but maybe creates some interesting scandals.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #67 on: 2013-04-18, 23:35:26 »
ooooooooh wish?

Why? Because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at you? :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #68 on: 2013-04-19, 00:01:39 »
ooooooooh wish?

Why? Because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at you? :)
and isn't that why the SCA, Adrian Empire, WMAs, etc etc etc all appeal to us one and all?   ;D

and I must say, that and your response of "a peasant, just like everyone else." Was very well said Ian.  And very humble considering what your esteemed profession is.  I do love the sound of hawks on the horizon.  They're truly a symbol of "home" for some of us.  And even if your job flying that hawk is nothing more than as some of my other flyboy friends would say "esteemed taxi driver" without you guys, it would be a very very long walk!

But still, I like to do living history personas, not just a "name and look" as some do, which is fine.  And in that, I must say, if my family were to approve, I'd run and join the Church, and fight alongside my brothers, for it isn't the hatred of those in front, but the love of those around and behind us that drives us now, and I hope that was still true back then.  Not like in "Kingdom of Heaven"...

beyond that, lets say I could become Grandmaster of an order... now that would be nice! 8)
« Last Edit: 2013-04-19, 00:08:02 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
  • On the quest to knighthood
« Reply #69 on: 2015-07-04, 17:45:06 »
Well, a few years ago, I felt the desire to enlist into the military and serve my country, so I wager that were I alive in the medieval ages, I probably would have felt that same desire to serve my kingdom. I think I would remain a Soldier.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Sir Edward Oldwall

• New Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: 2015-08-07, 17:39:50 »
If I were to have my modern personality and opinions on life then I would undoubtedly be an heretic in the medieval world. Yep, that would be my lot in life.
I've bought your soul, fight well for me!

Sir Dimitry

• The Black Wolf of Carpathia
  • New Forum Member
    • Silver Knights Jousting & Equestrian Martial Arts
« Reply #71 on: 2015-08-07, 21:55:48 »
Mercenary... I doubt I would have been noble.
Violentia Aureus

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #72 on: 2015-08-16, 04:09:56 »

I chose to represent a mercenary as well more than 20 years ago.

My understanding and representation has evolved over the years due to internal conflicts with the local establishment.  These conflicts seem to ebb and flow, and recently disappear altogether.

The one thing that has never changed is the proverb “actions speak louder than words”.  My SCA unit hires on with a knight or other dignitary at the beginning of an event (ceremoniously only, no fee or gift has ever been accepted).  For the entirety of that event our Captain takes orders from the Sponsor (and the Sponsor only); we take orders from our Captain, without exception.

I find simplicity, elegance, nobility and honor within this arrangement.  I suspect it’s not too dissimilar to mercenary arrangements in the late 14th to 15th century Europe.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #73 on: 2015-08-18, 19:54:27 »
you could form a lance. Hence the Term Free- Lancers
Im pretty sure a lance, is a man with a longsword, a man with a pole axe, and a man with a lance on horseback.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Dimitry

• The Black Wolf of Carpathia
  • New Forum Member
    • Silver Knights Jousting & Equestrian Martial Arts
« Reply #74 on: 2015-08-20, 22:57:19 »
you could form a lance. Hence the Term Free- Lancers
Im pretty sure a lance, is a man with a longsword, a man with a pole axe, and a man with a lance on horseback.
|

I do already have the horse... and the lance...  ;)
Violentia Aureus